1:76 LNER A4 models

I'm looking for a replacement for my ageing Hornby tender-drive LNER Sir Nigel Gresley. Can anyone give me an opinion on the Bachmann 31-952
"Mallard", which is the heritage NRM edition with valances, double chimney, non-corridor tender and speed record plaque. I see from the net that it has a split-chassis loco drive. Since I am not contemplating a conversion to DCC, does this make any difference to its running qualities?
Bachmann's 2009 RPP is 96.85; Hattons is selling it for 68, with other sellers in a range from 73 to 100.
In Hornby, Hattons has R2339 Mallard, DCC ready, for 102 and R2688 Sir Nigel (anniversary edition) for 109. R2779 Falcon at 43 is the Railroad version, I believe with tender drive, similar to what I already have.
Basically, I'm asking is the Bachmann at 68 a good buy, or is the Hornby at 50% more a better buy in terms of quality and performance? Any other RTR suggestions?
--
Martin S.

The Bachmann is quite old now which is why it still has the split chassis
The Hornby Railroad is Loco drive and represents great value as it is actually quite high detail, I compared my Railroad A4 to a fine detail one from only a couple of years ago and it was better.
I wouldn't bother with the Special Edition, unless you are a collector, the R2339 is worth a look.
Paul

And maybe why it is being discounted by 30%.

Thanks, Paul. It might be worth taking another look at "Falcon" at less than half the price, as most of my other rolling stock is not super- detailed, apart from a Bachmann 9F and a Hornby Black 5.
--
Martin S.

wrote...

This railroad range is well good ! Got the 9F last week, basic perhaps but fine for me on the layout as tis outside my era. Will add some weathering and possibly the odd pipe or rail. Chassis is smooth as anything straight out of the box.
Cheers, Simon
"MartinS" wrote

The Railroad range A4 is a loco drive version utilising the old (super-detailed) tender drive model tooling, which doesn't quite capture the shape of the A4 in the same was as the more recent standard range model.
In my opinion, the latter is one of the best steam loco models in the Hornby range and is streets ahead of both the Bachmann A4 and the Railroad range effort.
John.

Thanks, John. Now I have to decide whether it's worth it for my purposes to spend more than twice as much for the standard as the Railroad model. Obviously, if money weren't a factor, it would be a no-brainer.
Now I have to look for a new LMS maroon Princess Coronation, of which there don't seem to be any currently on the market.
--
Martin S.

But are you after the best - LMS "Duchess of Buccleuch" (R2230) or BR fake one ? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hornby-Duchess-of-Buccleuch-LMS-4-6-2-R2230-boxed_W0QQitemZ250512978185QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091013?IMSfp=TL091013155001r21648
Cheers, Simon

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hornby-Duchess-of-Buccleuch-LMS-4-6-2-R2230-boxedW0QQitemZ250512978185QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091013?IMSfp=TL091013155001r21648
Has smoke deflectors. Won't ship outside UK. Tender drive?
--
Martin S.

wrote...

R2230 was the first super detailed loco drive model and the only one so far released (outside sets) in LMS maroon. Do wonder if latest LMS black was supposed to be maroon but was a communication error with china ! Am sure all super detailed have smoke deflectors but was told on here recently that they are easily removed and all is fine behind. I have 2, one of which is awaiting SD's removal, weathering and poss rename/renumber. Wont ship outside UK ? oh well, is there someone that could forward it to you. Otherwise its about time a new one ws released by Hornby or keep an eye on Modelfair as they have them occasionally.
cheers, Simon

I'll keep an eye out. Actually, my tender drive Princess Elizabeth is still running fairly well, so there's no rush.
--
Martin S.

wrote... ....

Not sure what running fairly well means but the loco drive Duchess (and Princess) is a mean machine, so smooth and has a slight growl as it goes that gives a hint of true power. Nothing but nothing comes close (LMS that is, maybe those lessor lookers but similar types A4 etc do as well). erm... do you want a Princess or a Duchess (Princess Coronation). In loco drive LMS theres Princess Aurthur R2225 which was released at same time as "Duchess of Buccleuch" and Princess Louise R2313 that has slightly later LMS maroon. Theres also at least 1 train pack - Royal ... - with Princess Elizabeth but for some curious reason that has overhead warning flashes.
Cheers, Simon

Curiouser and curiouser.
Actually I'd be happy with a Duchess or a Princess, as long as it's not one of the formerly streamlined ones with a sloping firebox.
And I thought steam locos were supposed to chuff, not growl.
--
Martin S.

wrote... ....

Your on safe ground there, when streamlining removed Duchesses were painted black and Princesses never suffered the indignity of streamlining. Not sure if it growls or if romancing :-)
cheers, Simon

Any comments on this one? ebay.uk item no. 290360730939
It's 6201 Princess Elizabeth with warning flashes, presumably from the R1057 Royal Train set, but identifed as R2225. It's described as GWO, with "loose front wheels"; I've emailed the vendor for clarification on that. The starting price is very low (19.99), but there could be a flurry of bidding before it ends tomorrow at 15:10 (10:10 for me). The vendor has a 99.7% rating and will post overseas for 8.
The Duchess of Buccleigh went on eBay for 67.09, not bad for as-new and boxed. Modelfair sold an R2225 that had been renumbered and renamed to Princess Elizabeth, without warning flashes, for 79.50.
--
Martin S.

Yep thats from train pack R1057. I have one split from set. Its as per 70's when pulling royal train, but livery near as can tell from as built with numbers/letters straw with black edge and lining gold/yellow also black edge. Theres some confusion as to whether lining was gold or yellow in 1935. As its from 70's explains why has warning flashes and speedo cable. I'm happy with it as is but do intend to give it light weathering and remove flashes when confident know how to do that. Will remove speedo as well. Mine, typical of Hornby Princesses is good runner but when got it, wheels were dirty either from some running or original black paint/muck that some new Hornby locos arrive with. I paid GBP65 for mine from local shop that I know to be reliable. Cheers, Simon

Thanks - I'm watching it. I think "loose front wheels" may just be normal slop in the front bogie mounting.
--
Martin S.

I just won it for 70.99. Someone else had an automatic bid of up to 68.99. I guess that's a fair price in comparison to others. I just hope it's in as good condition as described - no box, of course.
--
Martin S.

MartinS wrote:

Hmmm.... many people set their bids to just *above* the round pound because they know that most people bid in round pounds. Setting a bid to just *below* means that you're very likely to lose out by maybe just a penny, but it does mean that the price has been pushed up.
I'm also very wary about bidding on private auctions, especially where there is no reason whatsoever for the auction to be private as in this case. You have even less idea than usual as to who you're bidding against or how much activity with that seller your competing bidders have.
Not that I'm a cynical bugger or anything, but my suspicions have been aroused by that seller's listings. Anyway, you've presumably paid no more than you're happy to have paid ;-)
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.me.uk /

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be worth the price when I receive it, and hope there was no shill biddng. The seller has a 99.7% feedback rating, for what that's worth, going back to 2003.
Re my original post, I have also ordered Hornby Railroad R2779 A4 "Falcon", R2675 A1 "Flying Scotsman" and R2674 3F Jinty from Model Railways Direct to replace 2 tender-drive locos and a defunct Bachmann J72. I had taken the J72 apart for a second time to see why it was emitting smoke from the cab. I found the cause was arcing between the split frame and commutator, and as I powered it, the whole business melted and fused. It was a good little runner when I bought it but, as others have discovered, it was crap.
My only remaining previous-generation motive power are a 4-6-2T (with traction tyres removed) and a Lima Class 101 DMU. I would like to replace the noisy pancake motor in the latter with a new Hornby or equivalent motor. Can anyone recommend a reasonable cost solution?
--
Martin S.

I paid GBP68 for mine from Paul at Church Gresley so if its in good condition then I think its a fair price - Paul only charges that type.

Erm its diesel - sell it on ebay and use the money to get a rebuilt scot/patriot for GBP60 or a railroad 9F. :-) Cheers, Simon