A4 locos

If one was to collect the full set of A4 locos including all the livery, renaming and renumbering variations how many locos would this amount to and are there any published lists with this information

Thanks in advance Bob

Reply to
Bob Heath

Hi Bob,

I started to collect 00 gauge A4s about 2 years ago and have 53 so far, and they are only Hornby and Bachmann. I haven;t even begun to scratch the surface yet.

My bible on collecting is Ramsay's British Model Trains (3rd Edition) 4th edition is now available, this will give you information on most of what is avaiable.

Given all the various model makers and gauges, who knows how many there are.

Cheers

John Willumsen

Reply to
Thorodin

spoke to a guy at a fair once who claimed to have done just that.

He said he had about 250 (he gave a more precise figure than I recount) of them.

There are various articles on the topic online at the the Gresley society's home page.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Douglas

"Thorodin" wrote in

Why?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Just like collecting them, I also lived during their era mid fifties to the end.

Got to have a hobby in life haven't you.

Reply to
Thorodin

"Thorodin" wrote

So did I and loved them. Whilst I can comprehend collecting to a point (after all I collect pre-war Hornby O-gauge) I fail to understand the logic of wanting 50-odd near identical locos.

Suppose it beats going to soccer matches! :-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Why do any of us have more than one model, you can only drive one at a time, and watch it!

Good job he is not colecting Spam cans like myself, 110 of those, or will be when Hornby do the re-builds! I got 12!

Too true, and John would be unemployed with out it?

Reply to
piemanlarger

Exactly where is the logic in buying model trains of any description? (written while sitting amongst the results of 45 years of collecting)

Why would anyone in their right mind do that?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

And fishing!!! :-) :-) I collect green diesels, can't explain why, just do! I wonder, will anyone ever introduce RTR classes 14, 15, 17? Am I mad to even hope for such impossibilities? Badger. :-)

Reply to
Badger

The message from Gregory Procter contains these words:

Some people *like* watching grass grow, which is pretty much the same thing as watching football.

Reply to
David Jackson

Imagine the cost

Bob

Reply to
Bob Heath

"Gregory Procter" wrote

I suppose at the end of the day it's all about filling one's leisure time, and I tend to think that a constructive hobby like model railways beats sitting in front of that ludicrous thing called a television.

I wasn't criticising Thorodin (good combination of a pair of class 47s there) just curious as to why collecting A4s helps float his boat.

I've got to say I like having my O-gauge collection around me. There's some history with each piece, and whilst I know a little about the background of some of the models, the rest allow the memory to wonder to some long past Christmas, and to imagine some small child's face light up when one of the locos was unwrapped.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Good question, John.

And there's a really long psychological answer to it that I suspect the poster (and most people here including me, actually!) prefer to ignore.

:-)

Reply to
Brian Watson

Do you know why the film "Trainspotting", which is mostly about heroin abuse by the young unemployed, was called "Trainspotting"?

Because they are both something to do when there's nothing to do.

Reply to
Brian Watson

Phil: Only one train running at once? - You need to change over top dcc! Although my existing layout is an 'end to end', it also includes a 'test' loop for running in or background running (a concept which many exhibition layouts don't understand - the idea that any one attending would actually like to SEE a MOVING train whilst shunting is 'going on' (or not), and also an independant 'high level' (eye level) pair of loop tracks (dc/ ac overhead). The revised version, for when the extension is completed, will double that to 2 'test loops' to allow trains running in the background whilst other activity takes place (excluding the trams and narrow gauge and cars)

dcc - DYNAMIC CREATIVE Control????? dc - disabling complexity ? 8-)

Reply to
Phil

In message , Brian Watson writes

Some time ago, my psychiatrist asked me about my hobbies, so I told her about my model railway in the garden. She wrote down that I was still had a tendency to be a bit childish, as a result of this. I complained that that was rather unfair, as there were plenty of other people who also had model railways, including a few well-known celebrities. So she asked me what I would say. "It's my way of conquering the stress of my job, and staying sane," I said. She accepted that.

I would think that the same thing applies to everyone here.

Reply to
John Sullivan

In message , Bob Heath writes

Imagine the return when they are sold for (much) more than they were bought for.

(Don't top-post.)

Reply to
John Sullivan

"John Sullivan" wrote

Or more likely consider the loss when everyone dumps their old models and buys the superb *new* Hornby A4. Already had an influx of the old tender drive A4 which no-one now seems to want!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In my case,as I moved to the US 20 years ago, its a piece of England in my Basement. Next project, build a pub!!!! Rob

Reply to
Rob

Oh yes, I wouldn't argue with that, but why not just remove the cause of the stress instead of finding ways to conquer it?

Reply to
Brian Watson