square punch for styrene ?

I need to punch many 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" square holes in .018" styrene. Is there a ready made punch set for sale ?
If not, how might I go about making a punch/die set ? I have a relatively well stocked workshop including drillpress and small arbor press. I've tried using a drillpress woodmortice chisel but it leave ragged edges for some reason. Also ... I need to punch holes up to six inches from the edge of the styrene so a craft store paper punch probably won't work unless can alter it somehow. Any hints, tips or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Frank Cordes Lakes, AZ.
p.s. BTW, I'm using the styrene to make lampshades.
On 29 Jun 2004 08:20:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Datura) wrote:

I don't know of any such set but you could try sharpening the edges of square brass tubing and using that.

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.
Indeed, I have done that, and it works.
Al Superczynski wrote:

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
snipped-for-privacy@usfamily.net
Datura wrote:

small arbor press.

A punch is good, but for a clean hole you really need a die too, and a way to align them. For the punch, you can use HSS cutting tool, such as those used in lathes. The die can be a plate of steel with a square hole. If I was making it, I would stack up sheet of 1/4" acrylic over some 3/32 steel, and drill and bolt four corners. Then I would drill a round hole through both just slightly smaller than the finished diameter, and file until the punch was a good fit. It would take a while, but if I needed a lot of square holes, it would do the trick very well. When the fit is good, unbolt and put a shim or washers a bit larger than the thickness of the intended materials on each of the four corners to raise the acrylic sheet off of the metal die, which will allow you to slip the material to be punched under the acrylic hole.
I have made similar punches for making styrene discs, and the process works very well. Commercial gasket punches are made the same way, but I have only seen them in the round varieties.
Good luck with your project
Kurt
Kurt Greiner
SeaPhoto Maritime Photography ...delete "net" to reply http://www.warshipphotos.com - now taking online payments via Paypal
Learn about large scale r/c model warships- Warship Models Underway http://www.warshipmodelsunderway.com
Micromark sell a square punch for styrene .
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp item 81652 its 5/16 but with your workshop and skill you should be able to knock up similar in the sizes you need .