Golden Eagles wasRe: test

Keeper asked:

Okay, I musta missed the Golden Eagles. When, how much, and who was >responsible? >tia > >

Hang around and maybe Tom will tell you :-)

Basically it was a failed attempt at forming a modeling group. Memebership was by referral, each new member got to suggest one more member. Idea was to build the membership one by one, special products, newsletter, etc. It failed in the second year, actually the first year for some later joinees. Some people got highly P.O.'d and thought the thing was a scam. I thought it was a decent idea that lacked enough "ummmpth" to get it off the ground. Pre-internet snail mail thing, probably too "elitist" for it's own good.

Rick Clark Golden Eagles 089 MFE

Possessor of membership card and certificate suitable for framing.

Reply to
OXMORON1

Then what, you sell them vitamins? Kim M

Since we're going down memory lane, remember a model compamy called "Myria"? They ran a couple full-page ads in Scale Modeler, promising a 1/72 Tu-95. Never heard from them again. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Kim asked in reply to:

the following:

Nope, we were to sell vegtable and flower seeds and udder handcream! Big ads in the back of comic books.

Were these guys an Eastern Europeean outfit? Maybe with some armor in their line? Possibly Crylic spelling?

Rick MFE

Reply to
OXMORON1

Thanks, that gives me answers. Do you remember how much and what year? I can see how snail mail would gum up an idea like that. Thanks,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Keeper asked about Golden Eagles:

IIRC, membership was about $10.00 per year. The year? Mike Dario and Dave Bosanski were still alive, I wasn't on the internet, so it was probably pre

1990.

Oxmoron1MFE

Reply to
OXMORON1

I had membership #499 out of an announced 500 memberships.

If he was stingy about giving out free memberships that means he took in $4k to $4.75k. That's a hell of a lot of oney for a mebership card, a certificate and a couple of tattered, re-mailed newsletters.

Wonder what happened to the bulk of the money?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

#499 out of 500, Johny come lately! The organization was already dead when you joined :-) Some of us had already renewed for a second year, really smart move on my part :-(

Tom, check your membership card for a date, what year was it? My stuff is packed away with my Aurora MiG and the original issue Combat F-101 vac in the storage building.

Money probably went to the party we didn't have at that year's NATS...

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

And yet he was still taking people's money.

Wish I could remember who nominated me. :-)

Sorry, no dates on card or certificate.

I guess we 500 should feel lucky as there are very few incidents such as this in our chosen hobby.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I'm still waiting for my Thunderbirds Models F-94C...

Reply to
Jarold Young

And John Andrews is dead now!

Mike Dario nominated me and he is dead now!

I have wasted a whole lot more money on bad vacuform kits and resin accessories.

Rick MFE

Reply to
OXMORON1

i did get the teenage mutant midget turtles memebers only backback from the club in 91. well worth the $5 membership. only one i saw on eekbay went for over 100 bucks.

Paying for something and not getting it is irritating (and a crime, to boot). Doing tons of work and not getting paid is another thing altogether.

Having done almost all of the research and most of the instruction sheets for Meikraft I'm pretty familiar with that type of business person. At least I got paid better than half of what I was owed, even if it was in kits to sell for what I was owed.

There was a guy in the UK who was trying to start a modeling magazine zillions of years ago. He named me some kind of editor and promissed a fair pay. I put together the first four issues, never saw a dime. Friends over there told me that he had approached several people about doing articles, publishing, etc, but never settled on anything. Of course he told me that it was all arranged.

Writing and illustrating articles can also be frustrating. I did a couple of copiously illustrated articles for the old Airfix Magazine at the request of the long time editor. I didn't know that he was leaving for another magazine and he took the articles with him. They never saw the light of day, I never saw the money owed. I think he is out of the action now.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Number 0125 and it does look rather nice in a frame............

Thanks, Rick.

Dave

Reply to
HistnScale

No problem Dave, How about a nice vacuform?

Better yet let me hook you up to the internet and you can see what is out there and meet nice people. Want to train some nice Indian kids? The home office in London, well New Delhi actually, wants to open a US operation.........

I've got an idea, we ought to order some resin kits from Japan.....

Stick with me, I have some really rotten ideas...............

Rick Note to the newsgroup: If you people haven't figured it out, I tend to get him in trouble every once in a while... Golden Eagles was only a minor fiasco. He can't blame the unpleasantness during the SEA War Games on me!

Reply to
OXMORON1

Did you pre-pay? I was waiting for some time myself but at least I didn't have anything other than time invested. I've seen this happen in model railroading several times. I'll bet there are a few guys wishing their D&H Models RS1 had shown up.

BTW, got the tape Tuesday. Haven't watched it yet. Many thanks!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller