Aztek airbrush as a second unit

I am looking for comments people have on using the Aztek line of airbrushes. I currently have a Paasche VL and am working off of a 20gal compressor/tank. The noise that the compressor makes is fine in my workshop area, but I have a building area in my retail store, so I am looking for a small self contained second package. I have been looking at the Testors/Aztek complete airbrush kit. That being a 740 series airbrush and the small blue compressor Aztek sells. Any input both positive and negative would be welcome.

John Fowler The Little Dollhouse Company A huge selection of everything small

612 Mount Pleasant Road. Toronto, Ontario
416-489-7180
Reply to
John Fowler

Don't know about the compressor, but I have the 470 and am quite happy with it.

Reply to
EGMcCann

I get by fine with the Aztek and the 'small blue compressor'. Cleaning the Aztekl nozzles is a doddle and it is very neat and easy to handle. I would recommend the combination. Oh, I forgot, I use them for 1/48 aircraft and 1/25 vehicles. David Pennington snipped-for-privacy@bbbweb.com

Reply to
David Pennington

Small blue compressor doesn't tell me much. I always reccomend a compressor with an air tank to eliminate pulsing. You might want to get one of those "carry cans" used for inflating tires. You fill it up with a compressor and carry it to where you need air, very quiet, perfect for your application. Sears, Wal mart, up in Canada the Tire and Battery stores ought to carry them. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Reply to
Don Stauffer

This is the unit

and I find it more than adequate for 1/48 David Pennington snipped-for-privacy@bbbweb.com

Reply to
David Pennington

Thanks, that's a slick looking unit but it doesn't look like it's got a tank on it. You could buy the tank I suggested and fill it from that. The pulsing problem I mentioned may not be observable a 20 psi but when you get down to 12 psi it becomes critical. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

So what am I doing to need to change this? It works for me with the various Aztek needles that I have at the pressure it supplies. What am I missing? David Pennington snipped-for-privacy@bbbweb.com

Reply to
David Pennington

You wanted two airsources, one for the front of the shop and one in back, yes? In that case get the airtank "carrycan" and you can fill it from the compressor without having to buy another compressor. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Please tell me your kidding right ?

I have NO trouble taking the Aztec nozzles apart, and by putting another nozzle on the unit, I can spray out the previously used nozzle and have it clean in seconds !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Faster than you can do with any other type of airbrush ! No way you can clean a Badger, Passche, or Thayer Chandler as fast as an Aztec, no way.............

No question a good Passche, or Thayer Chandler *needle* airbrush can spray slightly finer lines, (Badger cant IMHO) but it really is a whole lot easier to clean an Aztec than the others ! So.... I got rid of the Passche VL, and T C airbrushes, and stuck with another Aztec. The main feture I like about the Aztecs compared to ALL others, is the very light trigger pressure required compared to the others. Takes almost NO pressure at all, and after a while, becomes second nature in just slightly moving my finger on the trigger.

Also after using this type since 1992, I am very used to it, and using a unit that you are more comfortable with is more important than the type of unit you use :) (ie; if the Badger works well for you, than stick with it, ditch the Aztec...) I am a painter in real life by profession, and have been for over 20 yrs. Cars, houses, high rise buildings, you name it, I've painted it... (as in; it''s not so much the tools you use, but how you use them)

BTW... I've done touch up painting on Triumph show cars with my measly Aztec, and afterwards one could not tell where I had touchd up the finish !! (lot of polishing out etc...) Needless to say, the Aztec was very unhappy with the car paint, high flow nozzle was required, and it never fully recovered.......

The 1963 Tr 3 won best of it's class with my touch up too :) (these are real cars)

Azzz1588