Airbrush problems

I have been getting very small specks of what appears to be some kind of contamination when I spray with my airbrush. It does not happen all of the time or consistently during a painting session It is not water as it can be polished out and the area repainted. It is most obvious when doing NMF finishes with SnJ or Testors non buffing aluminum but sometimes with other enamels. I am satisfied that my airbrush (Paasche Model H) is clean and not causing the problem as there are few parts and they are easy to clean. The only other culprits would seem to be my compressor and hoses. The compressor is a Sears oilless model about 20 tears old and has a glass water trap. The vinyl airbrush hose is connected to the compressor via a rubber hose about 15-20 feet long. I guess my question is this. Is there a filter for particulates that could be placed inline in the vinyl airbrush hose or should I just relegate my old compressor to filling car tires? If a new compressor is the answer what do you reccomend as an airbrush only unit? Thanks for all help. Pete

Reply to
The Laws

How old is the hose? An old hose can start to decompose.

Have you ever been able to spray NMF media with this unit and not have this happen?

Particle filters do exist and it might be a consideration.

I would look at these possibilities before you start looking for a replacement air supply.

If you do decide to get a replacement air supply consider renting a tank of compressed Nitrogen, CO two or some other gas mixture from a welding supply or medical supply company. Or if you can spend the cash just buy one and don't worry about the rental aspect.

I've used compressed Nitrogen in a welding tank for 30+ years and have never had any contamination problems with my air supply. No water vapor traps no particle filters. Replace my hose every 5 years wheather it needs it or not.

Good luck, F Marion

Reply to
Francis Marion

Reply to
Mike Keown

most likely source of the contamination is the paint itself. try an automotive paint supplier for disposable paint strainers, the are very cheap and save no end of heartache. from the same location you should be able to get inline airhose filters as well. but I doubt that is your problem. (usually airline contaminates are limited to water, oil or suchlike) a cheap fix here if you consider it to be the culprit is to place a small disk of (new) fuel filter brass mesh under the air coupling at the airbrush end of the hose. Finally I would recommend dismantling your airbrush and giving it a really thorough inspect for small deposits of old paint. they can often accumulate in hard to reach areas and flushing with thinners alone will not always remove them.

Reply to
Umineko

Pete, check that old Sears compressor and see if it has a foam rubber air intake filter. Those foam rubber filters will start to disintegrate after a few years, and this could be the source of the contamination. Sears sells the replacement filter for their compressors that use a filter. Also the rubber diaphragm, that pumps the air, could be disintegrating because of it's age. This diaphragm does not apply to a piston type compressor. Larry

Reply to
RLM5