Airbrush Moisture Problem

Revell Gamma compressor; aztec airbrush; moisture trap and filter; lifecolour acrylics.

STILL getting moisture problems (even with the filter/moisture trap) after fifteen or twenty minutes of trying to spray three colour WW2 Italian camo patterns (badly, I might add). Without warning I get a sudden spray of just water - I have to stop and wait for it all to dry out. So I get one twenty minute session a day!

Any advice to solve the problem?

Reply to
Graeme Cosgrove

It could be that your moisture trap isn't working. I would disconnect the hose and purge it with rubbing alcohol, hang it and let it dry. Replace the moisture trap or if your mechanically inclined, tear it down and see if you can spot the problem that is to say it is the type that mounts to your compressor. If it is an inline filter, toss it get a new one. If your compressor sits on the floor, you may want to raise it up a couple of feet up out of the cooler damp air near the floor. In a basement this is especially noticed. Check your airbrush as well to ensure it doesn't have a drop of cleaner or water somewhere in it just waiting to make an escape. Not owning an Aztec, I'm only guessing there. Hope this helps. Gerald

Hawkeye

I am feeling a bit mechanical, so I've stripped it. It is clearly "working" as it was full of water! It's taking some of the moisture out the air at least!

Why should it be so wet? It's in a dry study that's heated and even has a dehumidifier in it (and they say divorce is a "bad thing"?).

Graeme Cosgrove

Don't know your setup so this is generic guesswork.

Mount the moisture trap at the end of your longest hose, then use a short hose to connect the airbrush. Moisture condenses in the hoses, the trap needs to be after the longest hose section.

Empty the moisture trap every ten minutes! Is it getting full - if not it's in the wrong place. There should be a vent on the bottom to allow you to blow the water out.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

Graeme Cosgrove wrote in news:esuubh$l1n$1 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

Does the compressor have a tank? Sounds almost like you have a lot of water somewhere in the system and it's overwhelming the trap.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

This is all great advice...the moisture trap is right next to the compressor with a long coiled aztec hose to the airbrush.

The trap is getting full. There's a vent on the bottom of the trap - is that how I blow the moisture through? Makes sense as it will condense in the "jar" of the trap when the pressure is relieved?

Any more tips? (e.g. "keep to simple camo schemes"?)

Thanks

Graeme Cosgrove

I live in a very humid region and had the same problem. I solved it by putting a compressor moisture trap (the kind with the inverted bell jar) on the compressor tank outlet fitting. Then I inserted a Paasche in-line filter on the airbrush end of my air hose about a half inch (15mm) from the fitting. You can adapt the Paasche in-line trap to any air hose. I have one on a Badger and Aztec hose. I used a nylon cable tie to hold them in place. Modeling is now my favorite rainy day activity.

HTH!

RJ

Reply to
RJ Tucker

Lancashire in England is pretty humid too...assuming "rain" is classed as extreme humidity? The two filter idea I have seen before...I may need to try that too...

Reply to
Graeme Cosgrove

Reply to
Bruce Apple

Well, you will be getting some condensation in the hose. Every time you press the button on the airbrush, the air in the hose and trap gets cold (because it expands), and moisture condenses out.

Yes, it should be a pushbutton of some kind, just press it when the compressor is on and the water will blow out. If the trap gets full then water will get picked up and blown through the hose.

How long does it take to fill up the trap from empty?

Well, the obvious one, really - practice! Use inks, and practice drawing lines, shading and even masking and colour overlay on paper. The airbrush was invented to allow water-colour artists to overpaint without disturbing the lower layers.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

CO2

Reply to
Tom

Sounds as though you've got the moisture trap on the wrong end of the line. The trap should be closer to the airbrush than to the compressor end.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

I had this problem a few months ago. Turns out the filter in the moisture trap was water logged *and* moldy on one side (yuck). I used alcohol to clean the filter and let everything dry. Problem solved. I also noticed that while spraying during the humid months here condensation appears inside the trap. Rather than just let this sit I take the trap apart and let it air dry after painting. I haven't had any problems since.

hth, david

Reply to
youngde