Badger airbrush questions

Tired of spray can paint so I'm about to be a first time airbrush user but have not purchased one - yet. Seems like the only ones I can get reasonably and locally are a 200-3, 250-3 or 350-3. All apparently come with a propellant can and appear to have med tips. I intend to use mine on a larger air compressor (yes, I can dial the output wayyyyy down) however I have no idea what else might be required to do so.

Q1, which would you recommend for a first time user? I'll be doing car models mostly, larger ships off and on and on a rare occasion an aircraft.

Q1, what else do I need in order to adapt one of these over for regular air compressor use, assuming I can?

Thanks for your input, John

Reply to
John DeBoo

John - I've owned a Badger 350 for about 20 years now (yes, the same one with new parts when needed) and also own a Badger 175 Crescendo double action airbrush. The 350 is bare-bones easy to use and clean and is very affordable. My only warning in its use is the way its 'o' ring handles lacquers and lacquer thinner - they soften it and it will need replacing. I'm using my 350 on a Trumpeter Abrams tonight and it still works just great. Mineral spirits and water have no effect on it... The Crescendo offers greater control over paint volume, allowing tighter lines and finer control but there is a little getting used to it. I like its heft and control and the fact that it uses the same hoses as the 350. It's all metal inside and has no problem working with lacquers. Now, I used to think 'start with a single action and move to a double action after I get some experience airbrushing' but that's not really the case. I got the Crescendo because my airbrushing wants outpaced the

350's ability to produce fine, fine lines. Squiggles and getting into tight areas are done with the Crescendo. The 350 still gets the most airtime and will continue to do so. If you're doing cars, ships and the odd-aircraft, the 350 would be a fine airbrush. Now, if the cars are flamed, the ships are 1/700th dazzle-camouflaged and the aircraft squiggle-painted Stukas, I'd recommend the double action. It's not more difficult to learn, just different. Either way you go, clean it immediately after you're done painting. As for additional things to buy for compressor use, get a brass adapter coupling that will fit between the hose and the compressor fitting, usually a 1/4" to a 1/8" reducing fitting. Drill a small hole in the side of it to relieve the pressure on the compressor for times you stop spraying paint. It'll help give the compressor a longer life. Get a moisture trap and a good regulator to control the working pressure and some Teflon tape for the connections. Other than that, you should be in good shape. And, get a few mixing bottles that fit the airbrush. I'm forever cleaning out the same ones, looking for a useable one... Hope this helps...

Frank Kranick

Reply to
The Kranicks
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

and $5.99 with hose and connector plus 2 cups made it unbeatable. i snagged the last two.

e,

When I was at "my" Big Lot's I think that I snagged the last one as well. And like ya said at that price it was well worth it. If they'd had more I think I'd have grabbed an extra one as well. . . As at that price they're almost disposable. . .;-)

Reply to
Digital_Cowboy