first airbrush

Just got my first airbrush, a Model Master kit - air can powered. I have also just started to build models, armor, for the first time in 40 years - finally have some time now that I'm a part-timer. Built a Sherman, Panther and working on a Dragon Wagon..

Two questions:

What is a good book/tape/DVD for instructions on using an airbrush?

I'll most likely be getting a compressor soon. Any comments on the Airbrush City compressors I see on eBay? Recommendations on a good compressor for a beginner would be appreciated.

Right now I am practicing making lines and dots using food color as the medium.

Thanks

Jerry

Reply to
your1joker

There are a couple of firms that specialize in airbrush stuff that have books and videos in their catalogs, but I have never seen any of them, so can't comment on that. Rather than an airbrush compressor, consider a small utility compressor. They are now making some dandy, cheap ones that are more than big enough for an airbrush, and would fill car tires, etc. They are light enough you can easily carry them from basement to garage. Coleman is making a neat little model. Most bigger hardware and home remodeling stores (home depot, lowes, etc) carry them.

Yeah, they are a bit noisy, but so are most airbrush compressors unless you get one of the quite-expensive silent variety. They will last a long time. Some of the cheaper ones sold for airbrushes turn at high rpm and wear out pretty fast.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Sorry, I dont know. The best advice I can give you, is to first; put the air can in a pot of warm water, and keep it upright. Second; find an old model, and practice on it. If not a model, find something with compound curves to it, you will need the practice with uneven shapes and angles. Basically so you can learn that you spray inside corners first, that you need to keep a wet edge, and what the feel of the trigger is like at various settings. Sounds like a pain but really isnt. You also want to thin whatever paint you use to a consistancy of skim milk. Best thinning advice out there.........

If you can handle something loud, than go to a home improvement store and get an air compressor/tank combo for around $100. Tho loud, they are very powerfull for modeling work. These units generally come with built in air gauges and regulator which you will find very helpfull, later on you will reley on them You MUST get an inline moisture trap as well !!

Keep at practicing, every time I get ready to spray, I always test color, thinning ratio, and my own steadiness on an old model with the color I am using before I paint the part in question.

Reply to
AM

Thanks for the suggestions. The Home Improvement store idea sounds good, I'll just turn off the hearing aids which should eliminate any noise problems :) A Lowes is due to open in the neighborhood very soon -- I'll see what they have for an opening sale. The compressor would be a good addition to my woodshop too I bet. A brad nailer would be a very nice addition there :)

Practice is what I need - and I found out about heating the air can shortly after the air stopped coming out of it on my first spray attempt. I am at the point where I can just spray a fat line without a blob on the end - I'm not sure how fine a line I can spray with the 3 nozzles that come with the kit - but that is also a practice issue I'm sure.

Thanks

Jerry

Reply to
your1joker

Not sure of any in particular, but check a local legitimate art supply store to see if they have any to rent/beg/borrow/steal. We have a Dick Blick nearby that has a few, something near you may as well. Here are a couple websites that might help you in general--

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

Hmmm... interesting. Here in Aussie, Lowes are a chain of discount menswear shops.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Thanks I'll do that. I also stopped in a local hobby/toy/gaming place today and talked to the owner - he has several clients doing WarHammer stuff that do airbrushing and I asked him if he thought about setting up a class at his store. He is considering it.

Jerry

Reply to
your1joker

- he has several clients doing WarHammer stuff

Warhammer has some way cool pieces. I stopped into a shop in IA City, IA once out of pure chance, and I was amazed at what there was...I had never heard of

40K, or the whole Warhammer series before that. Then I found out my nephew in Memphis is heavily involved in all that. I have seriously considered getting away from my usual WWII aircraft and doing some Warhammer/40K stuff as a deviation that might get my modeling interest back.