Which airbrush kit ?

I am going to have a go at making some model trees ( and possibly some other scenery ) for my sons layout and upon reading various advice sites have come to the conclusion an airbrush is needed.

I am not after anything fancy, just a basic kit powered by a propellant canister. Have had a look at the Revell basic range but am open to suggestions.

Has any members of the group had any practical experience of these ?

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Seems a suprising idea to require an airbrush for trees and scenery ? Would have thought the opposite in that airbrushing is likely to give constant shades over an area whereas scenery wants lots of variation.

CHeers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Reply to
Simon Judd

On 29 Jul, 01:19, "Simon Judd" wrote: I use a cheep airbrush made by humbrol, it is basic but good enough for me, Just remember the usual advice e.g several light coatings and consistancey of roughly milk, clean the brush properly and thouroghly after use etc Simon ( not me ) stated that its all one shade, well for trees etc try a light colour of paint and a darker colour, experiment with it etc Kindest regards Simon Judd

I am attempting to add a bit of basic 'life' to my son's layout. My intention is to use twisted wire or sea foam for the tree itself and for the foliage I may try various methods starting with sawdust. They only need to represent trees so a single colour will be OK until I get more skilled. Not been able to find a Humbrol one locally.

May even try the textured paint cans I got from Wilkinsons !

Thanks for the advice

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Reply to
Tony

I agree that the Clarke pro Air Brush Kit (CAB2P)

very good value and will allow you to do much finer work than the cheaper 'scent spray' type paint spray brush, if later you want to do repaint or weather some of your models.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

I looked at the =A324 'Pro' version but it also needs a =A360+ compressor. My skill level; at the moment. would not do it justice.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

On the CAB2P page there is a related items list including tProduct Code:

I looked at the £24 'Pro' version but it also needs a £60+ compressor. My skill level; at the moment. would not do it justice.

Chris

Reply to
Tony

It should come with an adaptor to use with a can of airbrush propellant which should be enough to do a whole forest of trees.

My original airbrush from many years ago had an adaptor to fit a car tyre. You pumped up the car tyre, connected the adaptor and adjusted the tap to give about the right pressure and away you went. I've seen an adaption of this where a local tyre repairer drilled the hub of an old tyre to take a second valve. The airbrush was fitted to one valve and an electric pump (bought for £4.99 from a motorway service station) powered by an old 12V power supply fitted to the other.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 00:19:52 GMT, "Simon Judd" said in :

ISTR that Humbrol made two, one an airbrush and one more of a spray gun (but not bad as a small spraygun, good for diorama work certainly).

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

What's the one I've got, then? Bought late 70s, reddish body, little screw-on jars, not much adjustment, came in a black plastic box for about a fiver then. Was that the upmarket or downmarket model? Works quite well though and I'm keen to rescue a car wheel from a ditch to use as an air reservoir in conjunction with a 12V inflator pump, having been told this does a good (if bulky) job of replacing those pricey propellant canisters. (Apparently it must be the whole wheel and tyre, not just an inner tube - only the constraining carcase gives the requisite pressure). Hoping the while that those previously-unneeded "nail bars" in every town centre will suffer in the next recession so I can pick up one of their pro-quality airbrushes at a bargain price in the closing down sale.

Tony Clarke

Reply to
Tony Clarke

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 23:49:36 +0100, "Tony Clarke" said in :

That was the cheap and cheerful one, the spray gun. Not bad, but the better one had a sort of compound control which was good in theory but rapidly stopped working if you were anything less than

100% scrupulous with cleaning. I now have a Badger one with the more traditional two-axis control for air pressure and needle, which is not bad.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?