Which airbrush?

Never owned one but I`m about to take the plunge. I will be building mainly

1/35 AFVs and the odd 1/72 aircraft. Is a compressor worth the investment?

Thanks in advance, Paul

Reply to
Paul Smith

The PROPER compressor certainly is. In fact, bottled gas is NOT a very good way to use airbrushes. Either buy a proper compressor or a CO2 system. You need something with an adjustable regulator. Some compressors have them, with others you must add them outboard. Very high speed compressors wear out rapidly and are very noisy.

If you live in a home rather than an apartment, consider a regular general purpose compressor/tank. They make some small, portable ones that are quite nice and these generally actually cheaper than airbrushes sold for airbrushing. Compressed air can be plumbed from garage, basement, or other good spot to your workshop.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I've owned a Badger 350 and a Crescendo and like them both very much. Paasche and Binks are also good starting points for a new-user, you can also get pricier with an Iwata. I'd recommend a double-action simply for the added flexibility it can afford you for more intricate camouflage schemes in either genre.

I started out with a small compressor and it worked just fine but it was noisy. I've since moved to CO2 and use it for power. My cylinders supply quiet, convenient gas and they las a good, long while. (I have two five-pounders and one 20-ponder cylinder.)

BearAir and Dixie Art are two great online suppliers. You can get a good idea of what airbrushes are all about on their sites. Good luck!

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

I've had a Badger and an Aztec. Then I bought an Iwata, and haven't looked back. I wouldn't have anything but Iwata, and own 2. The Aztec kept clogging.

I agree that you need a compressor. It depends on where you live as to what type you get. I've got a large Sears Craftsman. Its loud while filling the tank, but will go for hours before turning on again to refill the tank. Whatever you get, make sure its got an adjustable pressure gauge. I've got quick disconnects on my airbrushes. They're much easier to change. You'll probably have to get some type of step down air hose adapter if you go with a larger compressor.

I always try buying items for my hobbies that will do double duty. Easier to justify to the wife.

Don't even think about the cans of compressed air. Too expensive. Make sure you practice on some plastic before you try the first model!

Hope this helps! Bob

Reply to
Robert Bush

"Robert Bush" wrote in news:nn%_e.1504$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

I say YES.

I have a sil-air airbrush compressor, but i must say I didn't pay the full price for it. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. It just would have been too expensive.

Before that I used a CO2 cylinder with a regulator and it worked like a charm, never had ANY problems with it. It is cheaper than a compressor and it is VERY QUIET.

Refills don't cost much really, only a few dollar/euro. Smaller cylinders don't cost the world either or you can (probably) rent the cylinder. The regulator will be the largest chunk of the costs, but I got a second hand one for some $40. I had a 10 liter cylinder that I placed in a corner under the desk and 1 fill lasted me surely for some 10 models (1/48th planes, camouflaged and wheathered)

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Dennis

Reply to
me-me

"Robert Bush" wrote in news:nn%_e.1504$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

And about the airbrush.

I think its wise to invest a little in a good quality airbrush. this will give fine results and last for years.

I prefer a double action and started with that too. I don't think you have to "start" with a single action and then buy a double action later.

I use a badger 100G, double action, gravity fed. It's about 15 yrs old now and still works (and looks) like new. Maintenance is important in my opinion.

I've had a badger 150 and a Revell (Vega) and they were bottom fed. I think you only want to buy those if you like cleaning your airbrush a lot. They were very fine airbrushes though!

The badger 100 has a small cup on top where you simply drop some paint in, either straight from the bottle, with an eye-dropper or for very small amounts of paint I simply use a large brush to transfer the paint to the cup.

Hope this helps too

cheers,

Dennis

Reply to
me-me

I have to second that. I've been using a Paasche VL for years, and I have to field strip the thing to clean it after every time I use it. It's a royal pain in the posteriour. If I had to do it all over again, I would never get a bottom feed.

Reply to
Pauli G

Do you need special regulators with CO2? I have been thinking of going that way. I have a small regulator right at my bench that I use with my big Sears compressor. I leave the compressor set for 50psi, and adjust right at bench for the pressure I want on brush. Can I use this little regulator if I buy a CO2 tank, or do I need a special regulator?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I have a run-of-the-mill CO2 regulator on my cylinder with a gauge that ranges from 0-75 PSI, IIRC. This regulator basically steps the pressure down to a set level from 0-75 PSI and cannot regulate well, having only a screw adustment. I fit a small Sears regulator - with a dial and pressure gauge (via a nipple) - to a tap on the side of the larger regulator and this allows precise regulation of pressure from 0-30 PSI. Don't get a two-stage regulator for CO2 - the gas pressure doesn't drop until the cylinder is nearly empty as CO2 maintains constant pressure as a gas. A two-stage unit is overkill.

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.