paasche airbrush problems

Can anyone help me troubleshoot my paasche VL/VLS airbrush? I bought it last fall on sale at a store that was going out of business. I painted one model without problems until the very end when the paint began to splatter really bad. I disassembled, cleaned and tested with thinner. No worries.

Now I am trying to paint again, using enamel, and this time as I was shooting clear thinner, the mix kept 'thinning' until only air was shooting throug the brush. Per the instructions, I again disassembled, cleaned (everything looks in good order), and cannot figure out the problem. I noticed that if I remove the aircap, tip needle, and locknet, I can get thinner to spray if I place a load on the front (cover the front of the brush with my hand). As soon as I remove my hand, thinner will spray for a short period of time, but eventually only the compressed air flows. Very repeatable.

Could something be worn out?

Thanks

Reply to
Steve

What air compressor do you use with your VL? I had problems with my VL, because it is very air-hungry airbrush. I have high quality compressor with air filter, air tank and pressure gauge - it is capable of creating high pressure, but unfortunately has quite limited air throughput - this means that the diameter of the air hose and the airbrush itself cannot be too large, or the compressor will not be capable to provide enough amount of pressurized air. I now use it with Iwata Eclipse HP-CS and it works great, but with Paasche VL it just was not able to provide air at high enough pressure for longer period, as this is very massive airbrush and requires a lot of air. It started spraying fine, but after some time of non-stop spraying (after all the pressurized air in the air tank was used) the pressure dropped to the unacceptable level and airbrush splattered. If I stopped spraying for a moment, what allowed the pressure in air tank build up again, I was able to airbrush properly for some more time, until the problems appeared again...

I don't know if your problems are compressor related, but if you have a compressor with pressure gauge, I suggest you monitor the pressure closely to see if it doesn't start to drop after some longer non-stop spraying.

Reply to
Vodnik

Thanks Pawel,

I own a new 5 HP regulating Campbell Hausfeld compressor, with built in pressure gauge and flow setting gauge. This seems to be functioning just fine and I have tried adjusting the pressure from between 20 and @ 45 p.s.i. I do have a 'small' leak somewhere in the hose connections, but this is minimal. If I am not using the brush, it will only kick on the compressor about every 20 minutes.

Have you ever tried calling Paasche for assistance? Again, the store I bought the brush from went out of business, and I do not know anyone who has a similar model, or even a paasche brush.

thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve

I occasionally have problems with the VL, and in every case, a really thorough cleaning (complete strip-down) has solved the problem. This brush is really sensitive to the slightest bit of residue, especially in the nozzle or anywhere on the needle. I occasionally even remove the nut at the base of the brush where the air supply connects, to take out the little rubber/plastic? gasket, spring and the plunger body, as the plunger body can get dirty. Of course, this involves also removing the trigger, which can be tedious to reinstall later.

The VL doesn't have much that can wear out. I suppose the gasket might go, though I haven't seen it happen yet, and the needle is easily bent, but unless you've distorted the nozzle by dropping it on the concrete, these things just don't break.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Are you spraying from a paint cup or a jar ? If it's a jar, then the air intake in the jar cover might be obstructed.

Reply to
[SM04]Serge D. Grun

Its sounds like you need more air. Yes, the Paasche is a air hog. I have my VL running at 18 to 22 psi and that seems to satisfy the beast. The VL is a simple device and most things that go wrong with it are from neglect and abuse. You might check to see if your needle is bent by removing it and rolling it on a perfectly flat surface. A small plate of hardware store glass works fine. If it rolls out of round then there is the problem. Get a new one please don't try to bend it back to true. You can't do it. If the problem is still there after a new needle then you need more air. Good Luck Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

Serge:

Good question! That situation would exactly explain the behavior he is describing.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Serge:

Good question! That situation would exactly explain the behavior he is describing.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Sound advice from all, thanks!

My plan this weekend is to progress past the 'field strip' of the gun and thoroughly disassemble/clean/inspect the innards. One thing I have not yet looked into is, per the schematic, 12, the line adjustment assembly. But I ask, since these components are positioned behind the color socket, could that be part of the problem?

I have tried both the color cup and bottle assmeblies. I also will try to locate where the minor air leak is at in the hose/fittings leading up to the brush. I'll post my results.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Its Acetone gents...simple aceton seemed to solve my problems. While at a new hobby store in the area this morning, I asked on of the sales guys there if they had any employees who worked with the VL. The rep I asked happened to own one and said he uses it frequently. After describing my problem, he told me to completely strip and soak all metal parts in aceton, then fill the spray cup about half way, and shoot it thru the brush. I did exactly that and now I am back in business. But working with the brush today leads me to another question.

Do the different needles (VLN-1, 3,5) have any thing to do with the diameter of the paint spray? Would one over the other produce a tighter paint pattern? I am equipped with the VLN-1 in now, and would like to get a tighter pattern. Paasche does not seem to indicate in their instructions exactly what are the differences.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve

hmmm...I posted my results Sunday, and have yet to se them appear here.

I went to a local hobby shop for the first time Saturday to get some misc items, and was pleased to see they carry Paasche parts and brushes. As I was checking out, I asked the cashier if anyone on staff had any experience with Paasche. To my pleasure, he informed me that he owned and frequently uses a VL. After decribing the problem posted here, he asked me what I used to clean with (I replied depends on the paint medium), and he countered with one word: "acetone".

So I stripped and soaked all metal parts in acetone, then shot a 1/2 cup of acetone thru the brush itself. No more problem! I also can once again shoot at lower psi, which is a good thing.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Perhaps you're using the wrong needle / aircap set for that paint? I had similar problems until I started using the medium and fine nozzles. With the medium nozzle, I use Humbrol or Testors enamels, thinned down, with about 12 to 15 PSI and get great results - a very fine, dry spray that can be varied from needle-thin to wide without problems.

Reply to
Norman Lever

It's probably the Aircap. Tighten it (carefully) with a real wrench. I had problems where the air would feedback into the paint cup. When i tightened the aircap with a wrench the problem went away. The drawback is that you can damage the tip this way. (As i did last week)

Reply to
fredrickson

problems where the air would feedback into the paint cup. When i tightened the aircap with a wrench the problem went away. The drawback is that you can damage the tip this way. (As i did last week)>>

I had the same problem with my VL. I took it back to the dealer (Dick Blick), and I was told it was a defect and they would send it in. All this is out of warranty mind you, yet it's not supposed to cost me anything. I was told DO NOT tighten the aircap with anything other than the supplied wrench, simply because its diminutive size limits the muscle you can apply, and even then be gentle..

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy