Polyscale ATSF Silver/Paasche Airbrush question

I'm having trouble with Polyscale ATSF silver with my Paasche H Airbrush. Every time I spray it, it clumps up at the tip. I have to clean it several times to get a paint job done, for example, the top or bottom half of a 1/48 P-51. I tried to thin it a little more and then a little less, and I've tried different air pressures and nozzle apertures.

Am I being too timid with the thinner? I don't want to overthin as it does seem to flow well. I also use Polyscale Stainless Steel and don't have as much trouble with it clogging, but still some clogging, after a longer period of time.

If anyone out there has experience, I'd appreciate some advice as far as the mix ratio they use, the air pressure, etc. I love the metallic shades the Polyscale paints have over any other Acrylic silver and want to make them work.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
<wffwii

Hit a Michael's and get some "Liquitex Low Viscosity Acrylic Airbrush Medium". It seems to make the paint flow better thru the brush and retards drying. I can even get the old original Poly-S to spray with this stuff, and original Poly-S was formulated for hand brushing, not air brushing. You use this stuff in addition to the thinner and you may have to experiment a little to see how much to use.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

  1. make sure that you use a .4mm tip, not the standard .2mm
  2. thin 1:1 and spray @low pressure, medium distance
  3. get some acrylic retardant and add it to the diluted paint. The right proportion is around 5%
Reply to
Serge D. Grun