Spraying PolyScale acrylics

Hi. Until now I've airbrushed exclusively with either Tamiya or ModelMaster acrylics. Unfortunately, the local sources I've had for these paints have dried up and I'm left with online ordering if I want them. Although I generally don't mind buying online, I don't like doing this with paint for some reason; I much prefer to browse and grab what I need.

I do have a local source for PolyScale acrylics. However, I've never had much luck airbrushing with these paints. Either they dry very quickly in the brush, "gob up", or tend to lift up with masking tape. I never have this trouble with the other two brands.

PolyScale is supposed to be thinned with water, but perhaps some of you have better suggestions? Maybe using an acrylic retarder with another type of thinner? Or the retarder with water? Or something else?

Please help. Thanks.

-- david

Reply to
David Young

windshield washer fluid works for me. don't worry about the blue, it has no affect.

Reply to
someone

on 6/1/2009 2:24 PM (ET) David Young wrote the following:

I've used alcohol. The 91% Isopropyl kind bought in a drugstore.

Reply to
willshak

I have the same problem with the stuff drying in my airbrush. Many local guys do use acrylics- they say to thin with washer fluid, always use retarder. I have not tried yet- chicken- I still am sticking with enamel.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Ok, well I'll give both windshield washer fluid and alcohol a try, and will also use a retarder. Spraying enamels is out of the question for me, so PolyScale is my only choice here unless I buy online.

Thanks very much for the help.

-- david

Reply to
david

I've used the Testors Acryl thinner with no problems. I always recommend using the brand the paint maker says to use for thinning. It may be expensive but you never use all that much. Clean-up, on the other hand, can be done with any cheap rot gut solvent.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

And now, of course, it's all academic. My local source for PolyScale (Hobby Masters) has disappeared, shut down, closed, whatever. Went out there yesterday to restock and... gone. There are now zero (0) hobby shops in my area.

What the bloody hell is wrong with folks these days? Modeling is a wonderful hobby; I loved it as a young boy and I love it now. So very sad...

-- david

Reply to
david