wash trouble

I recently built my first model in 20 years and after airbrushing the basecoat of dark yellow and the olive green camo on my German 88mm gun. I mixed up a wash of raw umber and 50/50 isopropyl and brushed the model with it. Instead of the color building up in the bottom and edges of features, it built up around the edges of the puddles. I am using acrylic paints. Tamiya for the base coat and the wash was model master raw umber. What did I do wrong?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'm only guessing but it was probably due to the use of the isopropyl in = the wash. Isopropyl is a solvent for Tamiya paints, I use it when = thinning them for airbrushing and for stripping kits previously painted = with Tamiya paints, it strips off Tamiya paint brilliantly!=20

When applying a wash I usually use either water soluble inks or artists = acrylics thinned with water. It always helps to make your wash with the = opposite of what you thin the paints used as the basecoat, e.g. for = enamels use an acrylic wash and for acrylics an enamel/oil wash. Of = course it also always helps to experiment on an old scrap kit first but = how many of us have found that out after the fact.

HTH Andy

Reply to
Andy Macrae

You tried to wash over a flat finish. Next time, spray a gloss coat first.

Reply to
[SM04]Serge D. Grun