help with wash

Hi,

I am making my first attempt at using a wash to accent the panel lines on a model aircraft but it hasn't been completely successful.

I painted the model mostly using Tamiya spray cans with a few small parts brush painted using Tamiya acrylic. I left that to dry for a few days then coated that (using a brush) with "Pledge One Go". This is a floor polish made by SC Johnson which "Fine Scale Modeler" magazine says is an alternative to Future in Australia. That worked quite well except it caused some of the acrylic paint (flat black) to run a little.

I then applied a wash of oil paint thinned with an odourless solvent. I cleaned off the excess and left it to dry for about a week. Again that worked quite well.

The problem came when I brushed on a second coat of the polish. It made the oil paint run and rinsed most of it from the panel lines.

Can you say what I did wrong? Would it work better if I bought an airbrush and used it to spray the polish? Is there a fool proof way of doing this?

Thanks, David

Reply to
David Fulton

Future doesn't usually attack oil/enamel base paints. Read the ingredients on the Pledge and see if its got any petroleum distillates in it.

An airbrush might help but I wouldn't want to invest in one unless I was sure the method wouldn't screw up your wash. Your odorless wash and the Pledge appear to have similar chemical compositions. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Thanks.

Reply to
David Fulton

So what did the Pledge have for ingredients? tia

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

It doesn't say. I guess I'll keep experimenting.

Reply to
David Fulton