Help on realistic covering. Litefab? Ultracote? Paint?

Hello!

I am finishing my 1/12th scale P-51D (37-inch wingspan, about 20-oz flying weight) and need some advise on realistic covering and panel lines. I want my airplane to look more detailed and realistic than some ARFs.

I've considered the following options so far:

- LiteFab or ColorFab, and paint for the whole color scheme (too heavy?); panel lines will be either drawn or made with thin tape, removed after paint.

- Silver Ultracote and paint for color scheme (paint will eventually come off and show silver covering below, maybe I can scuff the covering before painting to prevent that). Its texture is somewhat unrealistic, though, and transitions from unpainted to painted covering will look weird.

- Silver Ultracote and additional Ultracote for color scheme (bubbles?). Again, finish is too flat and panel lines will be drawn using a pen. Will steel-wool scuffing improve its texture?

Thanks!

- Angel

Reply to
Angel Abusleme

Since this is an electric powered plane you are going to want to keep the weight down.

1st, what is it made of ? If it is a "foamie", use some waterbase paint.

If it is a balsa/ply framed plane and it is already covered, go with the covering that is on it already.

If this is a model you built and you need to cover it, I suggest "Solite". It is a bit of a pain to work with, but it only weighs .6 oz (that is point 6) per square yard.

For applying panel lines, I suggest a "Sharpie" pen (Staples carries them) or a "Helix" pen (drafting supply store) and a flexible ruler. These pens (once dry) are pretty durable, but not fuel resistant or fuel proof.

As for the "flat finish", I suggest using a THIN COAT of "Krylon" Matte on the plane AFTER all your markings, trim, decals, etc have been applied and are dry.

The big thing is you need to keep the plane light.

I realize this is a personal thing, but at a distance of 5', on a plane of this size, how much of the detail is going to be seen ?

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

I agree!

It is a balsa and plywood kit from Mountain Models. They did a great job in designing this kit, and I want the covering to be adequate for such a high quality model.

I have used SoLite only once. It is difficult to apply; also it is a little bit transparent, and prone to have bubbles. My concern is that trim scheme will be very difficult due to both facts, transparency and bubbles.

How about painting the color scheme over the silver or chrome SoLite covering?

Sounds good to me! I'll stay away from fuel, anyway.

That's a great suggestion. Never used that before.

Thanks a lot!

- Angel

Reply to
Angel Abusleme

I have never seen Krylon Matte Clear! Where did you find it?

Reply to
Jim

Nor have I seen the matte clear Krylon. I use a matte finish waterbased polyurethane as an overcoat.

Reply to
<rmaheuxr

I got mine at True Value hardware store in the spray paint section. I would think that artist/craft supply stores would also have it.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli