HELP !!! Need Help With Gloss Paint on Car

I am in the process of building a model car and I painted it today with Tamiya gloss black (Great paint) I dont know how this happened, but 2 pieces of dust must have got on the model after I sprayed on the mist coats and before I applied the first wet coat. Problem is.....I have applied 3 wet coats and the two dust spots (bumps, lumps) are still very visable. What can/should I do ??? Can I strip the paint ? What is the best way?

Craig ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com)

Reply to
Mangry

Well there are a couple things you can try. 1. Try polishing it out with a polishing kit. Model Master makes a good one.

  1. If it is enamel, strip the paint by soaking in Castrol Super Clean.
  2. If it is Tamiya or Testors lacquer, soak in 91% isopropyl alcohol.

Watch the Castrol or alcohol. Wear eye protection and rubber gloves. And no smoking around the Alcohol...highly flammable! HTH Warren I'm feeling much better now.......

Reply to
Rusty12759

Yes, sadly those do not go away. Prior to spraying a car I vac the spray room out and keep the model under a cake cover between coats.

As to your problem, stripping is an option. If the clots are right in the middle of a large area you can also sand with 600, 800, etc. and then respray. You could also just strip the localized area and sand/feather the edges and re-spray. Several options; they all involve work. Best wishes,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Sounds like a job for...

SUPER SCOTT!!!

(one of the two most incredible "car-model-meisters" I know....)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Craig,

While it's a bit late in this project, I would strongly suggest that if you spray a body shell, and find that you have picked up a dust particle, that is the time to stop, allow the spray paint to dry completely, then carefully sand out the offending area smoothly--try to avoid sanding through the color, just want to "level" the surface again--then wash up the body thoroughly, and respray. That's pretty much the way its done in real life, works every time I've had to do it on a model car as well.

Reply to
Andrsn1