Testors New Automotive lacquers

Has anybody tried them? Are they worth the premium price?

How do they compare with the likes of Tamiya, Original Testors, Krylon?

I notice that they a have a nice metallic Bronze which is a great match for Chryslers Turbine Bronze used on the Turbine cars of the sixties.

Tips and comments are most appreciated.

Scott

Reply to
Scott A. Bregi AKA The Model Hobbit

I just shot the Ford Wimbeldon White over white Plasti-cote primer on a 1969 Galaxie and I can say it laid down nice. On the initial shot it looked like it might *orange peel* but within 15 seconds it flattened out. I haven't clear coated it yet and I'm afraid to as I might screw up the the great paint I got now.

As a test, I took an old Torino hood I had and prepped it the same as the kit and I then cleared it with Duplicolor clear and see good results. No reaction between the Testors lacquer and the Duplicolor clear lacquer. So the Testors clear *may* not be required. Run you own test first just in case mine were a fluke.

As to the price vs results....the new paint is a bit pricy but it dries to the touch within hours and it dries hard (as it should). The spray pattern still seems to be a bit *heavy* but either pull back from the spray surface or speed up your spray pass and it still works well.

Personally...I like it! HTH Warren I'm feeling much better now.......

Reply to
Rusty12759

I have yet to even see a picture of them, let alone see a real example. I guess I should try the Testors site first. d'uh! It'll be a cold day before they show up around here. The one store that passes as a general hobby shop would rather stock baseball cards, die-cast, action figures, etc. than usable hobby supplies.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I used them in these two builds, I like them very much

Cheers, Stephen

Reply to
Herkynoseart

Most (if not all) the reviews on Hobby Heaven's message board are positive. Pics get posted with text for eyeing:

local HL just got their display in.$3 something a can. AFAIK selections are mfr colors. I recognized some Mopar colors: Plum Crazy, Hemi Orange and Sublime.

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Charles Ryan

Reply to
Don Stauffer

As far as using these spray cans, make sure you shake them well, and soak the can in warm water for a few minutes, then lightly spray at least 2 light coats while waiting 20 minutes between each coat. (no base primer required) Let the color coat dry for at least 2 to 3 hours, then spray 1 coat of the Ultra Gloss Coat, and let dry for 2 to three hours or overnight. Note any orange peel, yes I had some on my builds, I micromeshed these and polished the finish out, I applied any decal stripping then I set the model aside so that the decals completely dry. Then I wash off any decal setting solutions and I make sure all dust is removed from the finish and I spray paint another coat of the model with the Ultra Gloss coat until its nice and wet looking, but not too thick. I'm very happy with the results, make sure you use these paints in a well ventilated area, or use a mask designed for lacquer paints.

Cheers, Stephen Senior Editor, Cybermodeler.com

Reply to
Herkynoseart.com

One more thing to know.....IF you mess up the paint, you can strip it using 91% isopropyl alcohol. Castrol Super Clean apparently doesn't touch the lacquer, the alcohol will. Just remember it is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE! I would still use rubber gloves and eye protection as a precaution. HTH Warren I'm feeling much better now.......

Reply to
Rusty12759

I used Fantastic household cleaner to strip the paint, it worked great also

Cheers, Stephen

Reply to
Herkynoseart.com

so far, nothing works faster or better than castrol super clean. it took 3 days, but it removed 3 coats of gloss gray fron my p2h without hurting the glass. it also loosenes up the glue to remove said glass. and at around $8 a gallon, it's pretty cheap.

Reply to
someone

Scott, I too was curious, so I picked up couple of colors and the Ultra Gloss Clear.

I haven't used them on a model, but I sprayed some scrap plastic.

They go on nicely and cover well. But the clear is not as shiny as I would have hoped for. My all time favorite clear gloss is Boyd's Clear (in a little bottle).

The paints dry quickly. Their odor is not as bad as Tamyia spray cans but a little stronger than most regular Testors sprays.

I don't think their price is that expensive in today's terms. Just think how much money you can spend on the photo-etched super details. And most car model kits cost 15-20 US Dollars...

From my experience so far, I would recommend them.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.