alternative to Testors dullcote? floquil lacquers?

anyone know of a, well cheap, i guess alternative to testors lacquer dullcote. I've tried several "matte" sprays, Krylon, etc. and
everything i seem to find in large cans has a satin finish rather than the dead flat of dullcote. Hate to be a cheapskate, but hell, $5 for a tiny can of testors, or $4 for a can three times the size!
also, are there any brands comparable to the old floquil military models lacquers. I love the properites of these, and the RR colors seem to be comparable, but I kinda got a chip on my shoulder with Testors since they bought Floquil and discontinued the line. I hate enamels, but love the old Floquil lacquers.
tia

i buy the liguid stuff in the bottle for airbrushing and mix it half and half with thinner. makes it go a lot farther. last time the bottle was around 3 bucks. i omce found a hobby matt that was good for cheap. but i haven't found it since.
On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 17:39:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (e) wrote:

yea, but I'm looking for more of a "quick n easy" solution, just hate dealing w/ airbrush to spray one or two pieces, for example. Something in a rattle can.

if i ever fins that art stuff, i'll make sure you know. it was really good and i got it a micheals.

If you can find it, oil-based matt varnish from the hardware store thinned with lacquer thinner for airbrush use might do. You can try adding a few drops of Floquil Dust for a really dull finish.

I wonder if anyone has cross matched the Floquil RR colors for military modeling applications?
Scott G. Welch
On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 18:29:03 +0000, OSWELCH wrote:

Our own Mr. Sewell has provide many such cross-matches in the past.
:o)
--

Greg Heilers
SlackWare Linux user

Flat acrylic varnish, thinned 1:1. Every art supplies store has them...
--
-sdg

"Un gromono, mon royaume pour un gromono!"
in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, The Great One at snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net wrote on 9/2/03 12:14 PM:

I use Tamiya Flat Base dissolved in Future at about 30:70. I believe Gunze-Sangyo also had a flat base. I mix it in film canisters (Prefer FujiFilm) and then give it a good shake to get it mixed.
MB
On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 12:14:58 -0500, The Great One wrote:

Are you open to an acrylic? Do you have an airbrush?
Polly-Scale Flat seems to dry very matte. I also like Humbrol Clear Matte (enamel). These, in the long-run, are much more economical than Testor's spray cans.
--

Greg Heilers
SlackWare Linux user