matt finish

I have some aluminium rings 50mm dia x 5mm thick and wish to give them a plain matt finish ,any ideas ?

Reply to
lord160589 via ModelGeeks.com

ModelGeeks.comhttp://www.modelgeeks.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/models/200703/1

Two methods- I have used both. First, try spraying with Testors Dullcoat.

An old ham trick used on aluminum radio panels: Mix up a solution of one about a half tablespoon of draino or other lye drain cleaner in a gallon of water. Clean aluminum first with soap and water, then immerse in solution for about a minute or so. It should bubble vigorously. If left in too long, black deposits will form, but these can be rubbed off.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

ModelGeeks.comhttp://www.modelgeeks.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/models/200703/1 If you want the finish to be really durable, you could have them anodized to a clear satin finish. I had that done to all my Sherline lathe's aluminum handwheels. Looks great and no more discoloration from touching them.

A bit pricey because most commercial metal finishers have a minimum price. Mine was something like $75US.

If you don't need the durability, spray them with Testors Dullcote, Floquil flat finish or another clear flat lacquer available in various hobby or hardware stores.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

ModelGeeks.comhttp://www.modelgeeks.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/models/200703/1>

thanks, will try the old ham trick first,will let you know how I get on .

Reply to
lord160589 via ModelGeeks.com

ModelGeeks.comhttp://www.modelgeeks.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/models/200703/1>

thanks,will try , and let you know how I get on .

Reply to
lord160589 via ModelGeeks.com

ModelGeeks.comhttp://www.modelgeeks.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/models/200703/1>

Reply to
lord160589 via ModelGeeks.com

ModelGeeks.comhttp://www.modelgeeks.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/models/200703/1 Try using our SnJ Spray Metal Clear (SMCLR)

Hawkeye

Of course you might have a big mess to clean up after rubbing ham all over it.

TF

Reply to
TF