A matt or gloss finish on plastic models?

I have a question relating to the paint finish on plastic models. Is it preferable to have either a matt or gloss finish on 00 gauge rolling stock? I seem to find that factory-finished plastic models represent a paint finish more akin to matt, and when a re-painted model finished in gloss is put alongside proprietary examples, it is noticeably incongruous (i.e. it is too shiny). I am pondering whether to simply use matt paint, or gloss paint, the latter coated in a matt varnish. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Reply to
The InterCity

Most people seem to prefer a "satin" finish somewhere inbetween. It's an interesting question though. Why, when the prototypes are painted in gloss (but rarely kept in that condition), does a gloss finish on models look so wrong? I seem to remember that the Dapol Pendolino does have a gloss finish on instruction by Virgin themselves....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

"The InterCity" wrote

It's you hobby, go for what pleases you most.

My personal preference is for a satin finish on locos and coaching stock, with freight stock finished in matt. Then there's the issue of weathering ..........!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Adrian wrote: [...]

I think it's because we look at the models at a scale distance of 200ft (70m) or more. At that distance, gloss doesn't look glossy on the real thing, unless it happens to catch the sun and reflect it into your eyes.

No doubt to suggest that Virgin keeps its trains really, really clean? H'm.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Adrian wrote:-

Scale effect. Colours look brighter when reducced in size. Most Gauge-0 RTR is still gloss. Bachmann's limited edition small prairie should also have been gloss as seen in preservation.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Thank you for the replies. I will now avoid gloss finishes with confidence! I will employ a matt finish and await the results.

Reply to
The InterCity

If your adding transfers then paint with gloss and after adding the transfers, which lay flat and move into place on a gloss finish much better, matt it down with matt varnish

Reply to
Trev

In message , The InterCity writes

You could model a sandite train and make your class 37 all-over dirty filthy brown colour with exceptions for where the windscreen wipers have scraped the crud off.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Would using matt varnish give the same final effect as just employing matt paint?

Reply to
The InterCity

"The InterCity"

For surfaces requiring decals/transfers, gloss paint is considered best. Once the decals/transfers are fixed, then coat with a matte finish.

For all other surfaces, matte would by acceptable.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Agreed, it is your hobby and whatever turns you on, but...

Go outside and look at the prototype from the same (scaled up) distance you look at your own models. And this is a normal viewing distance, not the close-up inspection we give our latest pride and joy. See what is shiny (gloss) and what isn't (matt). I think you will find only two things are shiny - the tops of the rails, if well used*, and water. If you want to follow the shades and hues of the prototype, it kinda answers your question.

Steve Newcastle NSW Aust

  • - tops of rails shiny is good. Provides reason to keep our tracks just like the real thing - shiny. And clean. And great for pick-up!
Reply to
Steve Magee