Need help with airbrushing acrylic

I was wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions/advice on
airbrushing Tamiya acrylics. Long story short...when I try to lay
down a wet gloss coat using my airbrush, there seems to be small spots
on the kit where the freshly spray paint would not cover. So I'll get
tiny pits in the freshly sprayed layer.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. First, I thought the surface of
the model might be contaminated. So I usually wash the kit (primed at
this point) in soapy water and scrub it with a toothbrush and rinse it
for a minute or two. Then I spray distilled water so it doesn't dry
with spots. At this point, I handle the kit with latex gloves on and
leave it to dry for a day or two. When it comes to painting the kit,
I would thin the tamiya acrylic paint with the tamiya thinner about
50/50. Set my compressor to 10-12 psi and sprayed the first mist coat
through the Iwata airbrush. Clear out the paint from the airbrush by
spraying rubbing alcohol through the airbrush. Wait 15 minutes and do
the same thing with the second mist coat. Everything seems fine at
this point. After 15-20 minutes, I begin to spray the wet coat and
this is where my problem with small pits in the paint begin to show
up. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the long post guys.
Reply to
silverarrow
What type of air source do you have ? That looks like oil in the airflow...
Does the problem persist with another acrylic brand ? You might want to try Gunze acrylics, preferably a gloos colour, and see what happens.
Or try thinning a bit more, say 70/30, and spray at a smaller distance.
Reply to
Serge D. Grun
I always wash my models before I start on them to remove the release agents on the parts. I spray them with 409 or something similar and scrub with a toothbrush.
Ben
Reply to
Ben Valdevarona
Serge, I'm using one of those 2 gallon compressors that they sell at Home Depot or Walmart. Air goes from compressor to a moisture trap then to a pressure regulator(with integrated moisture trap so that's 2 moisture traps) then to my airbrush. Which part do u think is introducing oil into the airbrush?
Reply to
silverarrow
The nearest Walmart is about 3600 miles from where I live...
However, the small 2 gal compressors often use an oilless pump - it's a 50/50 chance. You'll have to check the user's manual or ask the dealer.
If it turns out that you have an oilless compressor, try the other two suggestions.
Reply to
Serge D. Grun
So where do you live? Walmarts will show up in unlikely places..
Rob
Reply to
Rob van Riel
I sometimes get these spots even with acrylic spray cans. I have best luck with a good, flat primer.
Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota