New to airbrushing, new to acrylic paints - HELP!

Hello,

I finally got my own airbrush (Badger 175) and a compressor. I used exclusively enamels before (and brushes) and now I decided to use acrylic paints for airbrushing. I purchased some basic colors for my first model of a car (1/24) from Tamiya and Model Master Acryl(the new formula). I tried to use my airbrush finally and paint the dashboard in semi-gloss black. I didn't use a primer, I washed all parts. I thinned the MM paint with Polly S thinner and sprayed the first mist but it behaved just like water, forming large drops of water on a surface!! Could anyone please point out any mistakes that I made? Should I ALWAYS use a primer for acrylic paints (that wasn't the case for enamels), even for the smallest parts (like suspension elements etc.)?? Maybe the paint was thinned too much? Maybe the thinner wasn't the right one? But all the brand thinners are so expensive and it seems they are all based on some kind of alcohol! Is there any substitution? Any help will be appreciated!

ps. when I tried to airbrush with Tamiya XF-16 Aluminium everything looked fine (there was no adhesion problems!). I am perplexed!

Reply to
jakub.andrzejewski

You mean it's beading up?

You probably overthinned the paint.

Or perhaps the paint had settled, and you didn't shake/mix it enough before using it, so what you poured out was mostly thinner. If there's any gunk at the bottom of the jar, you have to loosen it up with a stir stick and mix it back into the paint until it's all smooth.

I use windshield washer fluid, or sometimes rubbing/isopropyl alcohol.

Which rules out the possibility that the parts weren't clean enough.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

You were right - it was WAY overthinned! Once I got the right ratio the paint looked great - wow airbrush is like a giant leap in scale modelling (compared to a brush). Now it's time to experiment and learn the art of paintbrushing. Really exciting!!!!

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
jakub.andrzejewski

Yes...you will find it is all a matter of "tinkering" until you find something that works for *you*. There is no real "etched in stone" answer.

Also, don't limit yourself to "model company" paints. Many people are getting excellent results from the myriad number of "craft" or "artist" acrylics available from places such as Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Jacob:

Piece of advice: Go to your nearest Michael's and buy a small bottle of "Liquitex low viscosity acrylic airbrush medium". I think that's the correct name. you add a few drops when thinning the paint and it helps improve flow and delays drying at the tip. I found I can even airbrush the older Poly-S paints with the use of this additive, and they were formulated for hand brushing.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I'd like to expand on that: you can get very good results with watercolour or drawing inks, particularly the gray/sepia/ochre range, for all weathering and panel line jobs.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun