Xtracolor paints

When I use Xtracolor enamels as the finish to my aircraft models I must in many cases eventually use a flat coat to get rid of the high gloss finish of the paint. For years I have used Testors Dullcote to obtain this final effect and until I started using Xtracolor paints never had any problems irrespective of the paint I had used. However since I have been using Xtracolor the final dullcote invariably produces a wrinkled finish on the areas of the model painted with Xtracolor but not on the areas painted with any other paint. I have tried leaving the model for two weeks to let the paint cure but it makes no difference. Have any other modellers had the same problem and if so how did you solve it. I do not have ready access to the Humbrol or Xtracolor equivalents of Dullcote. Derek Shaw

Reply to
Derek Shaw

on 2/25/2008 6:40 PM Derek Shaw said the following:

What's wrong with Testors dullcoat? I use the Testors Dullcoat #1160 in the 1-3/4 oz. square bottle. I let it sit for week until the pigment sinks and there is a clear liquid that may be half the bottle. I then pour off the clear liquid and use the remaining to coat my models. The finish is truly flat, especially on uniforms. I have a pic of the bottle with the settling over on alt.binaries.model.scale. This particular unopened bottle has been sitting for a month and has settled more than

1/2..
Reply to
willshak

the only time i had that one was wehn i hadn't mixed the x really well. it's fussy that way, so i use a jigsaw converted to paint shaker and give xcolors a full 10 minutes AFTER i stir the gunk around to break it free from the bottom of the can. say with humbrol.

Reply to
someone

Sounds like the xtracolor did not fully cure. I have had a similar problem with WEM paints. Several hours in front of a blowning fan cured the paint. What the other poster said is correct; mixing it well is the key. If not then several hours in front of a fan is all I have found to work.

Reply to
Hub Plott III

I find Extracolor very erratic.

It either doesn't mix proprly, goes on too thin or takes days to dry.

Vey rarely do I get a decent tin off the stuff.

Humbrol is better, but soon goes off in the tin (curdles like milk). I have some original 20 year+ Humbrol & it's perfect. The newer suff barely lasts a couple of years.

DS

Reply to
Meee

I have experienced the same with X-tracolours, they don't seem to dry and harden, especially their tyre black and oily steel.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

Meee wrote: : I find Extracolor very erratic. : It either doesn't mix proprly, goes on too thin or takes days to dry. : I second the "takes forever to dry" comment. : : Humbrol is better, but soon goes off in the tin (curdles like milk). I : have some original 20 year+ Humbrol & it's perfect. The newer suff : barely lasts a couple of years. : I do not use Humbrol "Super Color", except for the buffable steel. "I could work with the pig beast!", errr, I could work with the pre "Super" stuff, the "Super" stuff, once I have it thinned to my satisfaction, I have way too much carrier, and little pig ment. No sir, don't like it. Not one bit!

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

i've used a lot of xcolor and it alsways worked finr if i gave it 20 minutes on the shaker. i have thinned it for some uses. i'm painting a lindberg ju88 fight now with some 15 year old xcolor 65. after the shake, it brushed on flat and level. won't even spray on a cover level coat.

Reply to
someone

Maybe it's your humidity levels. I've never seen Xtracolour around here so I have no personal experience with it. Humbrols work well for me and I'm still using some French colours I bought in the '70s.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

from way east to way west. i just make usre i shake a lot abd thin if it's thickened up.

Reply to
someone