Xtracolor drying times

I normally use Xtracrylix acrylic paint, but there are some colours that aren't available in the range. For those, I have to use Xtracolor enamels.

What is the usual drying time for these paints when sprayed? In my experience, it can be quite a long time. I sprayed an F-4 with X105 FS13531 Sand twenty-four hours ago and it *still* hasn't dried. And believe me, I did use a thin coat. As I like to spray thin coats and build them up into a decent coverage, this has severe implications for building times!

The worst one I have found so far has been X103 FS11136 Insignia Red, which took over three days to dry!

It's not going to stop me from using Xtracolor when I have to. The colours I've used so far seem accurate and when dry they are very durable. They just take their own sweet time in drying!

Anyone else had similar - or different - experiences with this paint?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Not yet, but thanks for the advance warning. I have a few projects approaching the point where the airbrush come into play, which Xtracolor paints scheduled for use.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

I've used Xtracolor paints recently, and yes, they do take a long time to dry. But only 24 hours in my experience. Maybe you could change the thinner or ratio. Dick...

Reply to
Dick

I'd be interested to hear of your experience with the paint.

A thought has occurred to me. I diluted the Xtracolor paint slightly with white spirit. I wonder if this has any bearing on the drying time.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I'll keep you posted, but please keep in mind that I'm stuck in the crawler lane for the moment, so it could be two or three months before I make sufficient progress.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

i'm guessing you did mix the hell out of it. pactra yellow seemed to take days, too. the only trick i found that REALLY helped was a dessicator. never took more than 24 hours, even i/8 inch think super gloss wood paint enamels. they're not expensive and you'll wonder why you haven't had one all along. cuts build times by days, some times!

Reply to
someone

yes, it does. only use laquer thinner for faster drying. white spirit seems "oily".

Reply to
someone

Xtracolor was originally designed to be thinned with white spirit, although they now sell Xtracolor thinners: I wonder if they have changed the chemistry of the paint since it was first introduced?

I don't thin Xtracolor at all for airbrushing, as far as I recall it is sold as airbrush-ready. It has always dried overnight for me . . .

Reply to
Alan Dicey

I am told white spirit is NOT best to use, get hold of 4 times refined white spirit, not the stuff available from the average store (UL B&Q, Homebase, Halfords etc is only good for brush cleaning !) or buy Hannants (Xtracolour thinners). I used white spirit in the past on some test pieces and even when you think its cured, it will stick to a plastic sleeve. Same goes for White Ensign paints. Yet to try the hannants thinners method but it certainly wont be worse. I am also told a drop of cellulose helps, by that I am told if its 50 units paint

50 units thinners then make that 49 hannants thinners and 1 drop cellulose.

Experiment first of course.

let us know the results.

By the way, I see different dessicators on the net, which one and how does it help ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

OK... totally different experience this time. I sprayed some X148 FS14227 Israeli Green this morning - about six hours ago. I didn't use any thinner at all as it seemed to be fine from the can. It is now perfectly dry. However, the colour *does* seem slightly translucent, although another thin coat tomorrow morning should sort that out. Once again, it has dried to a high gloss, durable finish.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix