Re: How Many Coats of Paint .... OR .... What The Hell Am I Doing Wrong?

Are Humbrol still in Hull John? (Is Mrs Klien still in accounts I wonder?)

Did I hear correct that Humbrol and Revel had mixed recently (one bought out the other?) or have I dreamed the wrong companies?

Andy

P.S Yes, I would recommend Halfords spray paints too... Excellent. And if on a metal body, bake in the oven at 60 deg Celsius to harden (so I'm told.... EWS at Toton!)

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

No, I must admit I didn't clean it (will do so in future).

Bought a (spray) can of railmatch primer - went on ok - and then sprayed with light grey - again railmatch. Looks ok now, so thanks for all the tips/advice fellas.

Dave

-- potter55(at)ntlworld.com

> "Justin C" wrote > > > Don't mean to be preaching to the converted but did you clean it first? > > That's not the problem, Humbrol white paint just doesn't cover. > > John. > >
Reply to
Dave Potter

Try Tamiya acrylics. You'll get excellent colour density in 2 coats. Use a fairly large brush and clean it often. Acrylic is fast drying and will begin to dry on the brush very quickly. Also apply the paint in as least strokes as possible..again because as soon as it touches the plastic it will begin to dry straight away. Lastly use an acrylic thinner..you can use water to thin acrylic paint but you'll lose some colour density and you may get water marks on your model.

HTH

Reply to
IanClarke

"Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept." wrote

Yes, still on Hedon Road.

No idea.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Our equivalent of Halfords is Canadian Tire, but I haven't had too much success using their enamels on models. I don't know if there's a difference in formulation. I do use their spray primer, though.

Reply to
MartinS

Halfords car paints are acrylic.

Reply to
Martin Wykes

The local craft centre has tinlets with humbrol numbered tops bearing the Revell name, the parent co was down sizing a while back, but it may just be a marketing deal.

Niel.

P.S. Phoned Hattons about my missing loco, they say they posted another, that should have arrived last wed/thur, they say their sending another record del. on Monday....Postal orriface "door-stepped" a parcel of seeds last week...Letters have been sent, and claim forms too according to Hattons.

Reply to
Badger

I remember that the Roco catalogue of about 20 years ago offered tinlets of German paint colours - I'd take a very large bet based on the appearance of the tinlets that the source was Humbrol. I'm also sure that Humbrol like paints have been in the German Revel range from about that time.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter