Re. N gauge

With the Farish loco coupling, is there any thing on the market for auto uncoupling device. Thanks Paul

Reply to
ee

There is (or was) an electric uncouplier ramp from one of the continental ranges (Fleichmann I think) - If using Peco couplings they offer a small letal tag that allows you to use an electromagnetic uncoupling magnet (derived from a design by chap in the N Gauge society who did it by drilling the coupling and fitting a bent track pin) - This doesnt work with spring couplers like the Farish type.

I used the MBM coupling (a kind of inverted tension lock, releasing the tension over a magnet uncouples the wagon), you have to assemble them yourself and they are considered 'obsolete' but I never had a problem with them other than fitting them to bogie stock. To save work I used 'permanently' couple rakes using ordinary couplers with a loop of thread and a spot of Uu glue, each haing an MBM on the end. Locos just require a wire loop (nice and unobtrusive)

Kadee knuckle couplers can be used, they offer delayed uncoupling so you need fewer magnets

More recent couplers you assemble youself also offer delayed uncoupling. I havent tried these (yet)

Reply to
Mike

The MBM works fine, but, as you say, its obselete, therefore not a good choice for someone starting out converting stock.

If going down the "fold it from etch" route, its probably best to consider either DG or BB systems (which are also interchangeable) as they both offer delayed uncoupling (like Microtrains (the proper name for Kadee's in N-scale)).

The other possibles are "electra" and "Alex Jacksons". Both are in the "make it yourself from scratch" category.

- Nigel

Reply to
NC

Fleischmann track has built in ballast and therefore stands a millimeter or so higher than most track. Minitrix makes an electric uncoupler, as does/did Arnold.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

I've just bought a Minitrix 14969 which is an electromagnet actuated uncoupler. I've so far had mixed results, but plan to put a report on my website as and when.

Peco make a hand operated uncoupler which is a small lever type thing at the side of the track, linked to a mechanism that fits between the rails. This can probably be automated but I've not seen it written about anywhere.

-- Mike

Reply to
pluto