Cheapie Mist Coolant Unit- think I can get it to work?

I bought this thing for around $10 shipped direct from China.

72.m2749.l2649 I don't need mist for most stuff, so don't want to spend a lot on it, but i t would be nice to have. I have a CNC router with a high speed spindle whic h holds endmills up to 6mm. So far I have only tested it with water. It won't siphon up the water at al l unless I run the air at very high pressure. If I lift the reservoir above the nozzle then the water flows too freely, even with the air off. I've us ed mist coolant in the past. The unit I had years ago worked well enough th at I never had to fuss with it, and so never learned anything about how it worked. The only thing I can think of now is to keep the reservoir high, bu t somehow restrict the flow. Any tips, or should I just toss the thing? Thanks,
Reply to
robobass

"robobass" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com...

I bought this thing for around $10 shipped direct from China.

I don't need mist for most stuff, so don't want to spend a lot on it, but it would be nice to have. I have a CNC router with a high speed spindle which holds endmills up to 6mm. So far I have only tested it with water. It won't siphon up the water at all unless I run the air at very high pressure. If I lift the reservoir above the nozzle then the water flows too freely, even with the air off. I've used mist coolant in the past. The unit I had years ago worked well enough that I never had to fuss with it, and so never learned anything about how it worked. The only thing I can think of now is to keep the reservoir high, but somehow restrict the flow. Any tips, or should I just toss the thing? Thanks,

*****************

Looks like a pretty typical air venturi vacuum sprayer. It will probably work. I found that if I didn't set the source tank close to or above the level of the sprayer it took a lot of air to prime and then you had to turn it down to run or you would spray all your liquid out in minutes. The problem with setting the tank up high is then it acts as a syphon and continues to drip for hours after the air has been turned off. Those may be ok for your application.

Since I was automating on my CNC machines I opted for flood coolant with a centripetal pump. When the pump shuts off the liquid flows back to the tank that can set on the floor or down inside the cabinet below the machine.

One thing to note is that a mist is not as good as micro droplet application and puts more coolant into the air. Most of the guys I know who are running "mist" are actually running a micro droplet system. Something like a Fog Buster, except there are some DIY designs out there. I'd say ask Lloyd Sponenburgh since he has a nice setup for that, but he refuses to wade through the off topic posts in this group anymore. If you like you can usually reach him on the CamBam forums. I think Lloyd and Bubba on that forum both run DIY micro droplet applicators.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

replying to robobass, Vinny wrote: I have two of 'em. They were about $6 each from Banggood. Both work well and I use them for both coolant and just plain air. You need about 100 PSI if you want them to pick up coolant reliably.

Reply to
Vinny

Ah. I was hoping to do this with much less pressure. My neighbors would get irritable if I were running the compressor that much.

Reply to
robobass

Micro droplet looks good. FogBusters are rather pricey though. I pm'd Lloyd. Any other sources for DIY instructions? Thanks!

Reply to
robobass

What about an artist's air brush? I use one to coat parts with anti-firescale juice and run it at about 10psi.

Reply to
robobass

7872.m2749.l2649

it would be nice to have. I have a CNC router with a high speed spindle wh ich holds endmills up to 6mm.

all unless I run the air at very high pressure. If I lift the reservoir abo ve the nozzle then the water flows too freely, even with the air off. I've used mist coolant in the past. The unit I had years ago worked well enough that I never had to fuss with it, and so never learned anything about how i t worked. The only thing I can think of now is to keep the reservoir high, but somehow restrict the flow. Any tips, or should I just toss the thing?

Sorry to keep posting, but here I have found what looks like an excellent d rip system that would be cheap and easy to make:

robobass

How much less will the compressor run to fill the big tanks as opposed to a small one?

Reply to
Five To One

Sorry to keep posting, but here I have found what looks like an excellent drip system that would be cheap and easy to make:

*******

That is very similar in concept to the way I have heard of droplet applicators being designed.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

replying to robobass, Vinny wrote: Sounds like you need a new pump for that compressor. Mine's nice and quiet and an el-cheapo HF.

Reply to
Vinny

What do the instructions say? What does the vendor say? They usually have to check with a tech and get back to you. If it doesn't work properly, they'll usually refund your money and -not- ask you to spend the normal $18 it costs to return something to China.

If it's a real small-diameter coolant tube and real small venturi orifice, it may take a lot of pressure, but not airflow, to get it to work. For mist, it should be teensy. If it's large, you have an HPHV paint sprayer on your hands. ;) (Oops, China.)

I picked up some misters for my garden from Chiwanese vendors. They're very fine sprayers, not misters/foggers or the "atomizing nozzles" as touted. Not too bad, but not quite what I expected. 20 for $3.49, delivered, so I'm not too upset.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So isolate the noise from the compressor. A simple carpet-insulated (interior) box/shack around it can cut much of the noise from reaching irritable ears. (That includes mine.)

He Who Always Replies To Trolls was right, too, that adding capacity to your air tank might help. It'll take longer to fill but twice as long to come back on. Better yet, do both.

P.S: If this is the one you bought, you overpaid.

"Grades:

  1. Clean the fluid should be used.
  2. Do not use corrosive liquid.
  3. In liquid without pressure output required to ensure that the air pressure in the range 5-7KGF / cm2 (Atomization and gas, associated gas pressure).
  4. Use the viscosity of the liquid in 68cSt or less."
5-7kgf/cm2 = 71=100psi. 68cst = something like 20w oil. (Thank you google and ebay.)
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well I'm guessing that the DIY droplet sprayer will use a modest amount of air, and not cloud up my 400 ft^2 shop. So, I'm just gonna go with that. Thanks Bob!

Reply to
robobass

Larry, you seem to have a different customer service experience than me wit h Chinese Ebay sellers. There are never any instructions, and when you writ e them they write back with some nonsense which is completely irrelevant to your question. Sometimes they give a refund. Sometimes they even try to ba rgain when you get something totally defective. "Is it OK to refund half? A fter all, we did pay the shipping..." Anyway, for ten bucks it's not worth getting into it with them. In this case I would say that the unit does work , but just not as I had hoped. I would have to run my compressor continuous ly to supply the needed air, and I would fill my shop with fog in a short t ime.

Reply to
robobass

No. The same amount of run time, IF the new tanks and fittings don't add more leaks and lose more stored air. How is running the compressor for the same time, and possibly longer, going to prevent pissing off robobass's neighbor?

Reply to
Five To One

Oh. Right. I suppose your HF compressor is no louder than the cooling fans on your computer? My compressor is 2hp-50l-8bar. It's just as loud as you would expect from a unit this size.

Reply to
robobass

Well I'm guessing that the DIY droplet sprayer will use a modest amount of air, and not cloud up my 400 ft^2 shop. So, I'm just gonna go with that. Thanks Bob!

********

Any coolant system will result in some vapor and or fumes in the air. In my little machine room where my 3 main high speed machines are it gets incredibly humid when all three are running. All machines are liquid flood. Its humid enough I am considering moving the two lathes back out of that room to protect them from damage due to humidity.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yeah, instruction sheets do seem to be half a paragraph long, IF you can weasel one out of them. But the better ones aren't even written in Chinglish!

BTDT, and then I started to pay attention to the vendor name. FashionBoutik2311 likely won't have a tech handy for electronics. Also, I usually ask questions to half a dozen vendors at a time, then compare any replies. Write it up, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V six times, and send 'er on. If the average price is $10, look for the vendor selling it for $27 and ask him. He'll find the answer for you.

Yeah, I've had those, too. I ordered a nice black backpack and got a pink and green camo. First he offered $6 back, then $9, then $16, but I finally asked him to either send the black one or refund the entire amount. I'd already wasted 5 weeks. He caved. All that exchange added up to about ten minutes of my time.

I consider a few minutes worth of email exchange a fair exchange for a $10 (r $36) refund. YMMV. Obviously, the thing was built for a much larger setup than you have. Hey, you have a machine shop and an example of a too-large mister. Care to make one yourself, on a smaller scale? I think all of these would fill the shop with fog pretty quickly, though, and I'd want an air source and outlet fan for when I was using it, I think. It's messy enough to make a fella want to hover over it with a hand mister, I tell ya.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

replying to robobass, Vinny wrote: Mine's a 3HP. Yes, it's louder than a cooling fan but you can still carry on a conversation without raising your voice while in the same room, can still talk on the fone and/or watch tv. Outside you can't even hear it.

Reply to
Vinny