UV pond unit for coolant sterilisation?

I have recently set-up the coolant system on my harrison M300 using soluble oil. I have read some info about it eventually going off due to microbial growth. Some suggestions were a aerator as the growth was anearobic. I have just been given an apparantly defunct UV-C pond unit which actually appear fully functional after a clean. I have seen these or similar used in a micro brewery supplied by a spring to kill microbes and was wondering if anyone thought this might be of use to help keep the coolant fresh. The idea was to plumb it into the coolant feed line and turn it on during coolant usage.

Reply to
David Billington

Sounds like a good idea, worth trying I would think.

Reply to
Lane

Read this. It may or may not apply, but it will give you an idea of the limitations of UV:

--Kamus

Reply to
Kamus of Kadizhar

I'm sure it would work, but you're using a sledge hammer to swat a fly. An aquarium air pump and stone will do the trick. The bacteria can't stand oxygen.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

David, This is a good idea, but remember that only the the shorter wavelength UV has this ability. See this website:

These units are not inexpensive. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Reply to
David Billington

It may work, but keep in mind that the bulbs lose effectiveness over time, and replacement bulbs are expensive.

It might light up, but not work as a UV steriliser, which would explain why you got it free.

Just a thought, hope it works out for you. Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific..."

Reply to
Mike Patterson