OT-mexican seasoning

Dear All, Having spent some time in the workshop came into the Kitchen to find Kath pondering her cookbooks.Problem is we all like Mexican cooking-Fajitas etc. but The kids like the seasoning included in the Ready produced meals.We have tried home produced seasoning mixes from British cookbooks and they are disgusting!! We want to avoid giving them the E-numbers/sodium by the bucketload.Can anyone on the other side of the pond supply the name of a good cookbook or their own recipe for the seasoning. regards Ian P.S.The boiler for 5" 'Charles is 75% complete as of this afternoon!!!!!!!

Reply to
ian R. Weeks

A lot depends on what exactly you wish to make. Also what level of meltdown each party may have. Be specific and you will get lots of advice.

michael

Reply to
michael

This is my recipe for chili powder. It's tough to get the ground mild red chili, but we like the incendiary taste that you get from using hot red ground chili from the Indian store. This is good stuff, but you may find it a bit too powerful. You can cut down the amounts proportionally to make a smaller quantity. Susie and Gwyneth are my wife and daughter, respectively.

Bob's Chili Powder

2½ C mild dark red ground chili pepper ½ C ground cayenne pepper ½ C ground paprika

1½ C ground cumin

1 C dried onion flakes or powder

1/3 C ground oregano

Blend dry ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight container. If you can find dark mild ground red chilies this is still a hot chili powder. If you substitute the more commonly available (hot) red chili peppers for the mild, it becomes a fiery chili powder. Susie and Gwyneth like this hotter version the best, but it's not for the faint of heart! Makes 6 1/3 cups.

Bob Chilcoat's own recipe. Bridgewater, NJ, 1998

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love America

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

My brother is the one that told me about these guys, back when we used to travel to Milwaukee each year. Now there's a couple of local stores. Their fajita mix, some family steak, some chicken, some olive oil, a pinch of vinegar. The tastiest combination ever. I'm salivating just *thinking* about it.

John Hofstad-Parkhill

You really need a selection of fresh peppers - seeds are available, so it should be no problem to grow a couple of jalapeno plants - that would get you close - if you have more space, also plant Habanero, Sorrano. Also, you must have fresh cilantro (aka "chinese parsley"). I like to add epizote as well, but most folks don't. Many salsas use tomatillos (they look like lanterns, inside is a round green tomato like object), which I've never seen in a european market - they are as easy to grow as tomatoes though.

Reply to
william_b_noble

Don't know about the Chilli powder, but if you like mexican I have an excellent Guacamole recipe...

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Try a Japanese store.