Justification for having a workshop

Not managed to get into the workshop as much as I'd like recently as still in land agent mode, however today brought the ultimate justification for having a workshop, answering the sceptics who just don't understand!

I was using my 3/4 ton microdigger yesterday. One track has always been a bit clanky, and it was on the 'when I get time' list, however it failed in an awkward mode - jamming when reversing. As I was tight up against a trench that I was back filling it required ingenuity to get it away. However - to the point....

Dismantled the track undercarriage and found that the front idler wheel that tensions the track had no bearing left whatsoever!!! It is a cast iron disk about 10" diameter by 1" thick with a fatter hub, and should have had a pair of 25mm inner 52mm outer ball races. All that was left was one cracked outer race of one bearing, the rest having graunched away. The boring in the wheel that took the bearings had worn away to be about 54mm on one side and 57mm on the other. The 25mm axle shaft was utterly mangled. Solution: bore out the wheel to the next size up (62mm), and cylindrical grind a piece of 1" EN8 down to

25mm as a new axle. Result: back digging in a day for the price of two cheap bearings.

Very satisfying!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

As I was tight up against a trench that I was back filling it required ingenuity to get it away.

You were lucky to find someone at such short notice. :-)

Mark.

Reply to
mark

So you need a digger to build a workshop, in which to maintain the digger that you need to build a workshop, in which to maintain the digger...

That makes perfect sense to me.

Cliff Coggin.

Reply to
Cliff Coggin

Good work, sounds like justification to me. Certain Peugoet 106, 206,

306 rear wheel bearings are a cartridge double taper roller bearing with 25mm ID, 52mm OD, and 37mm wide if that's of any use.
Reply to
David Billington

message

digger...

Close Cliff - the workshop is now structurally finished but not finessed, so still areas need wiring etc. This escapade was in 'The Wilderness', 3/4 acre of low lying wet ground that we never managed to get into in the first couple of years we lived here as it was so overgrown, however I managed to flail it all last summer, and recently

2/3rds of it has had it's level raised 30" by dumping spoil from clearing and widening all our ditches. A major undertaking involving two 16 ton tippers running 7 am to 10 pm for 7 days over the Easter and May bank holidays - thousands of tons of earth. (And thousands of £ out of my bank!!!!)

I was trenching the new higher level for water and electricity so my pigs can be comfortable in their new 'Pig Island' which hopefully will stay dry over the winter.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson