How do you turn a woodscrew?????

I need some giant double ended wood screws of maybe 10mm or 12mm diameter by 100mm long. (or bigger)

(fixing 5"x5" timber baulks upright to 10" x 5" oak railway sleepers to form a handrail over a bridge). So far I've failed to find a supplier so may have to make them..

So how the heck do you cut a tapered woodscrew thread on a screwcutting lathe???

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Depending on the lathe, you can do screw cutting combined with a taper turning attachment. This only gives you a cone shape for the minor diameter, but that can work. Do the major diameter parallel with a taper to the point.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

If you predrill the holes the screw doesn't need a sharp point. You can turn them between centers and just step the end down with shorter and shorter cuts, then file smooth.

IIRC I used my vee-belt pulley bit and stopped each pass 0.020" shy of the previous one to get a starting taper.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You could use M12/12mm Dowel screws, cut the M12 down to about 12" long and use a studding connector to join two together. A short counterbore will accomodate the stud connector.

Or do it properly with a pegged mortice & tennon joint;)

jasonballamy

--Try a chandlery; if you can make do with wood screw on one end and a machine screw on the other these are common.

Reply to
steamer

Get some suitably sized coach screws, cut the heads off and weld them together.

sell coach screws up to 20mm dia. x 300mm long

Bob

Reply to
BobKellock

Dunno but why don't you just fix them with angle brackets and normal length screws?

Reply to
Dave Baker

That would solve the small matter of how to screw in the second one, too. Do you rotate the handrail or the bridge?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That would work for the first screw but what about the rest,

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

*shrug*

Maybe Andrew doesn't NEED a rest after his first screw? --

Chris Edwards (in deepest Dorset) "There *must* be an easier way!"

Reply to
Chris Edwards

ay!" =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0

Double-ended?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

message

sleepers

'cos it would look tacky !!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

sleepers

That would solve the small matter of how to screw in the second one, too. Do you rotate the handrail or the bridge?

jsw

Handrail fairly obviously will be fitted when all uprights have been planted. This brdge is 6 metres long and is slightly arched (3 metre radius iirc) So the handrail will be several 5" x1" planks laminated as they are fitted, and held down into the curve as the glue sets. When firmley glued it will be carved/ planed / routed to a smooth shape

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Seems unlikely as that makes it a semicircle that hardly fits the slightly arched description!

Now that coupled with the above dimensions calls for steaming them before bending. On balance I reckon the radius of curvature is wrong. Should it be 30 metres radius? Henry

Reply to
Dragon

Around here the big-box home improvement stores sell them pre-bent to that shape.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Use a taper turning attachment!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve

message

You may well be right. The 'hump' is about 18" over the full length. By the time the uprights are planted on it the radius will be even gentler and I don't anticipate issues bending the planks if I can get them in full lengths.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

With a screwdriver!

Chris

PS. Yeah, I know but it's been wanting to be said for quite a few days now.

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

What does a screwdriver for double-ended screws look like?

A double-ended screw with the center knurled, probably not what's needed here:

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins