Trying wire feed welding, need some tips

I have no experience with MIG or wire welding.

I recently acquired a Lincoln LN-25 wire feeder. It has some quantity of 5/64" flux core welding wire. I would like to know if I can try to use that wire with my power supply, which can do up to 200 amps and can work in C mode or CV mode with arbitrary voltage.

For instance, can I try using LN-25 with this 5/64" innershield wire, 24 volts and 200 amps limit. If so, what polarity should I use. Thanks

Ignoramus31652

Pssssssssst. Iggy!

Look on the inside panel. There's usually a big sticker there with LOTS of information. IIRC, innershield runs with stinger positive. But I'd wait for at least two more verifications before firing up the new toy.

Does this machine have a solenoid where you can use gas on it?

Have fun. I'd say watch out, welding is addictive, but you're obviously already too far gone for that caveat.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

That seems like some big wire for a 24-volt machine, especially if you don't have gobs-o-duty cycle...maybe some 035/045 would have a little broader application? If you need info on the hookup try the Lincoln website.

good luck!

Reply to
utahparx

I can set it to run at higher voltage, up to 50 volts easily. I am limited to 200 amps though.

Ignoramus26000

You can try to use it, but I'm going to bet the results will be disappointing.. gonna take a lot of fire to deal with that heavy of wire, and there's gotta be heat left over to achieve fusion.

I'd sure like to hear how it goes though..

John

Reply to
JohnM

John, I think that I should get a more regular 0.035" cored wire and corresponding roller kit. I think that the roller kit is KP653-035C.

If I used that, on say 1/8" steel, what volts, max amps and wire speed should I use?

Ignoramus17686

You can use the miller on-line calculator to give you an idea of the settings:

Polarity is DCEP for Mig and DCEN for flux core BTW.

Both MIG and FC use CV mode if you haven't already figured that out.

Reply to
Curt Welch

I think you'll be happier sooner w/ the .035 wire. Keep in mind you might need to put a smaller liner in the gun for proper conductivity. You'll also need some smaller contact tips and possibly a nozzle with a smaller opening.

the Miller calculator is a good starting place, but you'll still have to tune the setup. Miller also has on it's site a very basic guide to Mig weldin' that you can download for free (its a PDF). They used to also host some online video that will give you a basic concept of what a proper setup looks/sounds while running some bead. Good info that cames in handy when you're scratching your head...

Reply to
utahparx

I'm guessing you've got 211 (or equivelent) wire?

5/64" flux core will run fine at lower amps. Flux core and dual shield isn't like mig. Tons of 5/64" 211 innershield is run well below 200 amps nicely. You really need to find the make and model of the wire and use the manufacturers parameters, you would be running in the lower range of those parameters most likely. Just as an example, Lincoln lists NR-211MP setting from 180 amps up to 325 amps. Your wire will likely be very usable with your 200 amp max.

JTMcC

Reply to
JTMcC