Lincoln wire-matic 255 feed/speed problem

We have a Lincoln wire-matic 255 mig welder. Lately it has developed a problem, as follows: when the operator presses a trigger, it starts feeding the wire way too slowly, for about a second, then it instantly increases the speed to the proper speed and stays at that speed.

This happens every time and is very consistent. The proper speed should be attained right away instead of a delay.

I tested the motor alone, it runs fine.

Any idea what may be wrong with it. I have my own ideas, but I do not want to share them so as not to pre-judge anyone.

thanks

Reply to
Ignoramus22591

It is not slipping. It was a board problem.

I had a junk wire-matic 255 (similar model but not identical to this

250).

I took a board out of it, which looked similar enough, replaced the board, and now our welder runs great again.

Ignoramus22591

Have you tried an .045" liner on .035 wire? I used to never use anything but .045, and it takes a long time before it gunks up. Try one. What have you got to lose? At least you'd have a new liner in there, even if that was not your problem.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Steve, it did the same thing even with the wire completely removed. It was not a liner problem. It was a board problem -- I swapped a board from a junk Linxoln 255 (similar but not identical) and it works great now.

Ignoramus29535

replying to Ignoramus29535, Dwb1 wrote: Could someone tell me where i can acquire this board as i have the same problem with a lincoln wire matic 255

Reply to
Dwb1

Hi. Some smart people told me that tere is nothing wrong with the board, but it has a very odd way of changing board settings, and they got messed up.

Reply to
Ignoramus19532

Turn the welder off hold the trigger on turn the wire speed clear full all the way then to power up it will beep three times that will be fast start instead of slow start

Reply to
Haroldharley1962

Harold you are awesome and right . I just went through the wire start speed sequence and it changed the wire start speed just as you described .

Reply to
BigE