Lincoln wire-matic 255 feed/speed problem

We have a Lincoln wire-matic 255 mig welder. Lately it has developed a
problem, as follows: when the operator presses a trigger, it starts
feeding the wire way too slowly, for about a second, then it instantly
increases the speed to the proper speed and stays at that speed.
This happens every time and is very consistent. The proper speed
should be attained right away instead of a delay.
I tested the motor alone, it runs fine.
Any idea what may be wrong with it. I have my own ideas, but I do not
want to share them so as not to pre-judge anyone.
thanks
Reply to
Ignoramus22591
It is not slipping. It was a board problem.
I had a junk wire-matic 255 (similar model but not identical to this 250).
I took a board out of it, which looked similar enough, replaced the board, and now our welder runs great again.
Ignoramus22591