Help please

I own a lincoln wire matic 255, about 5-6 years old. Our work is car restoration and customization, we currently use .023 wire. In other words we use mostly light gage material, the odd time we step it up to

11 gage material to weld the odd bracket. Lately I have been experiencing tremendous difficulty welding. Here's what's happening, holding the gun in my hand, when I pull the trigger the wire comes out very slowly until I have about 2-3 inches of wire out and then it will spool at the set speed. If I try to weld what I get is a spark and the wire melts to the end of the tip resulting in a birds nest inside the machine.

Does anyone know what's going on is it us not setting the machine properly? I have been told that it's possible the machine needs a

600.00 main board and 80.00 per hour CAD and no guaranty as to when it would be ready and no loaner we have two major restorations on the go. Are there any troubleshooting guides on the net? Can I buy the parts myself to fix it?

Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance

JP

Reply to
Klear Kustoms

Perhaps you've inadvertently set the machine for slow run-in.

page B4.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

Thank you Wayne. I think I have, I read the manual this morning and I have come to the same conclusion you did.

Thank you again

Reply to
Klear Kustoms

"wmbjk" wrote: Perhaps you've inadvertently set the machine for slow run-in. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't think I have that setting on my machine (Lincoln 135), but I am curious what its purpose is. wbmjk, can you enlighten me? Thanks.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I suggest you start by replacing the gun liner and contact tip.

GWE

Klear Kustoms wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

On those 1255 machines you can toggle the "run in" speed by turning on the machine while the trigger is pulled. The first time I used one it was fortunate that the manual was placed with the machine or I would have been a bit confused. I believe if you run aluminum the slow run in helps. We have a menu control on the Lincoln Powerwaves at work. Randy

"wmbjk" wrote: Perhaps you've inadvertently set the machine for slow run-in. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't think I have that setting on my machine (Lincoln 135), but I am curious what its purpose is. wbmjk, can you enlighten me? Thanks.

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

At least take the wire out and blow it out, copper cladding builds up.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

The idea is to feed the wire a little slower until the arc is fully established. On mine there's an optional timer kit which makes the run-in speed variable. I played with it when the machine was new, dialed in a comfortable setting, and have rarely changed it since. Operators using very high wire speed, or those using aluminum wire might make better use of the feature though.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk