whats the best set up to weld aluminum

Im trying to weld aluminum but I have no idea whats the best set up we have an thermal arc 250

Reply to
cruz

Do you mean a Thermal Arc 250 amp Stick welder, TIG welder or MIG welder. All 3 can weld aluminum, but the processes are very different.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Im sorry I got an thermal arc300 gtsw

Reply to
cruz

Now we are talking!!! Great machine for aluminum TIG.

1 amp per 0.001" of thickness for a flat weld. So 1/4" = 0.250" = 250 amps. Add 1/3 for an inside fillet weld. (Inside corner of a box) Subtract 1/3 for an outside fillet weld. (Outside corner of a box)

Try to match your filler metal to your base metal.

Do you know what your base metal is? There are several popular alloys of aluminum. Also what is the application? As in marine, food service, sex toys... What filler alloys do you have?

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler