Thoriated, ceriated, and Lanthanated Tungsten

Is there any agreement that 1-1/2% lanthanated tungsten works just as well if not better than thoriated tungsten?

The article concludes lanthanated is as good, lasts long and is safer.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I could never make it work better than thoriated. I gave up on lanthanated.

Ignoramus22050

Lanthanated tungstens are better. They take more heat, have a more stable arc, and are not tossing radioactive thoria particles into your lungs when you grind them. Plus they work on AC better than anything except Zirconiated.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I can't tell any difference , but that's probably due to my limited experience . I've ben using lanthanated for stainless steel and thoriated for aluminum mostly , but either type works for either metal .

Reply to
Snag

Thoriated is bad for aluminum because it tends to erode in an AC arc, shedding bits of tungsten into the weld.

Zirconiated is the best tungsten for AC, but Lanthanated is almost as good.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler