Propane welding tips?

Went to propane for cutting without a thought for welding. Do they make propane welding tips? Been googling, but haven't found any yet.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Propane won't get hot enough to weld with.....

Reply to
jppickett

Propane, unlike acetylene, will inject lots of free hydrogen into the weld zone, leaving the weld brittle from the phenomenon called hydrogen embrittlement. The only fuel gas suitable for welding is acetylene - that is the only reason it is still sold.

Save money on cutting or heating with propane or other fuel gases, but if you want to weld, you need to stock acetylene.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Does the same go for natural gas? I have always considered converting, but had never heard this.

Reply to
Maxwell

Yes, NG, propane, chemtane, MAPP, flameall, propylene and propadiene all are unsuitable for torch welding. All inject too much hydrogen into the weld, making it brittle. The only suitable gas for WELDING is acetylene.

Saith Ernie in his gas welding class.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

It is only true if you replace plain WELDING with "WELDING STEEL" :)

Reply to
Sergey Kubushin

-snip-

Does using the T type hose with another gas make it unusable for Acetylene? [or is it just good practice to not change gases in any hose.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

R type is only for acetylene, and is cheaper. T type is for all gases including acetylene.

I switch all the time.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Well dang. I went to propane to save money, and now it looks like I'll be getting an acetylene cylinder anyway. Sheesh. See what happens when you ASS-U-ME? Good thing I saved the acetylene hoses when I replaced them with T type. I never throw anything out anyway.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

From what I understand, there are chemicals (or gases) in the propane that are not compatible with acetylene hoses and you have to use a particular hose for propane. Don't know if the other is true on using a T hose for acetylene. How about it Ernie? Are they interchangeable?

Changing the hoses to a T hose was one of the first cautions. Using the acetylene reg on propane was okayed by people with more knowledge on such things as I.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

As long as you have T-hose then you can swap back and forth as the mood suites you.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Keep the propane for brazing.

Martin

Mart>> Maxwell wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote

Really, about all I can do is double the hoses if I need a long hose on acetylene, as I have 50' of both. But then, I'd have to buy an acetylene cylinder, and that was what I was trying to avoid. If I get into this much, though, I'll just go get one. The propane rig is for light cutting, and for the anti-gopher device I'm making.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB