maximum O/A cutting thickness?

So what can it do in the optimal conditions?

Reply to
ben

No idea what the max is. Thickest I have personally seen cut was 8 inches.

Reply to
BillM

A place I get stuff from occasionally quote flame cutting capacity to

460mm (18"). I don't know what the max OA can cut though.
Reply to
David Billington

It's been a lot of years since I looked, but 12" used to be the max thickness Victor listed for tips available for my large cutting torch. I think the thickest I have ever cut is about 6". I would not doubt the 18" some other poster listed.

Reply to
Maxwell

Quoting Galvery & Marlow in "Welding Essentials" p47 [I'm only up to p30, but I knew they'd mention it. . . ] "OAC [oxyacetylene cutting] has no practical limit. Steel seven feet thick is routinely cut in heavy industry, and fourteen foot cuts are not uncommon."

Which makes me wonder-- if the steel is fourteen feet thick- how long and wide is it? . .. and what is it used for?

Probably more useful to what you want to know is this chart that tells what tip size to use for up to 12" thick metal.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Our local supplier had a huge torch on their floor that they said was being used for cutting 72" thick steel in a demolition job. That made me wonder what the limit was. I suppose the ' no practical limit' idea has a logistical limit but I'm sure the military would say otherwise. If someone has the wherewithal to do something outrageous...

Reply to
ben

24 inches. Not handheld, but still 24" is possible.

Handheld I would say 6". That is the thickest I have cut. You will need a high flow oxygen regulator, a 3/8" oxygen hose, and the largest tip your torch can use; #6 on a Victor, #8 on a Harris, #7 or #8 on a Airco.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

How about a burning bar or oxygen lance? What's the limits on those?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

As thick as you want. They make one hell of a mess when piercing though. We are talking full iron-foundry body armor. Molten steel goes everywhere, especially back at you.

They can burn through 10 feet of granite.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

There is several large foundries here in town and a almost covert scrap yard has a deal. They take the massive gears and parts that come out of the foundry and slice it up into smaller chunks. Then sell it back to the foundry. (get it for free, slice and dice and sell back.) They make money.

The largest I saw they cut when last there was 3' wide and maybe 10 to 12 feet in diameter. Big power gear. had a flaw during milling the part out and so it was scrapped.

The yard has their own O2 generation station and liquid storage tank.

The slice and dice person was like a moon man in isolation - as the cutting starts with ? diesel fuel, then add ox then cut off or back the fuel.

The gear was cut into quarters but the slag was holding it together. A crane would lift it 20' into the air and electro-drop it onto a 4" steel plate. One or more quarter popped off and the large chunk was set upon by the lance man.

Expensive operation and full of danger. But what a sight!

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Only seen pictures, but they had the full suit like a foundry worker. Boy, that would be a long day, wouldn't it?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB