Stainless for boats

Probably could look it up somewhere but might as well go to the horses mouth, what is the grade of stainless that is best for the marine environment? 308, 314...?

Reply to
<pnightin

Below the waterline 316L is usually considered the best material. Above the waterline many people also specify 316 however I have handrails manufactured from 308 that have been on the boat for almost

10 years with no problems. We do wash them with fresh water after any trip and coat them with automotive wax. No visible corrosion so far.

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce

316/316L is the most common "marine" stainless steel. 317L is gaining ground in commercial work since it is even more corrosion resistant.

I have never seen 308 available as bar or tube.

308L is a welding filler metal that reverts to 304 during the weld process..

304 is the most common non marine stainless steel, and accounts for about 95% of the stainless steel made.

321 and 347 are variations of 308 that use additional additives to reduce chromium carbide formation during the weld process or if exposed to extensive heat in service.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Reply to
<pnightin

Could that be because 316 is the least porous stainless? I heard they use it in food industries for that reason.

Jim

Reply to
JimH

Nothing to do with porosity. Has to do with stabilization of the iron content, by the nickel and chrome.

316 is rarely used in the food industry. Only for applications of highly acidic foods, like onions (sulfuric acid) or tomatoes and citrus fruits (citric acid).
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler