Wire Feed Metal Thickness

I have a 110 wire feed welder and I am getting ready to try some auto body repairs. What is the thinnest gauge metal I can expect to weld easily. I am using .035 flux core wire.

Thanks,

Pibby

Reply to
Don

You can weld as thin as about 20 gauge (.036 inch) with .035 fluxcore(FCAW) and

24 gauge (.024 inch) with .023 hardwire and an Argon mix (GMAW). Welding with either process at those thicknesses will be touchy and "spot tacking only" will make it easier. Using GMAW is preferred for auto sheet metal and mandated by some auto manufacturers.
Reply to
Zorro

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping it would be easier.

Pibby