Welding White Metal

I'm not sure if this is the proper name for the chrome handles on a truck tailgate, but is it possible to weld this metal. I have a wire feed welder (flux core).

Thanks, Pibster

Reply to
Don

- "Don" - spluttered in news:py9Ub.87910$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

I've got an HP publication, "Paint and Body Handbook", ISBN 0-89586-220-4 From 1984 pg 34.

HP Books P.O.Box 5367 tucson, AZ 85703

It details fixing pot metal/ white metal.

Tips. Use Oxy/ acet, at very low pressure. Bake the part to get all moisture out. Clean / even de-chrome the part. Clean (even) the fluxless rod.

They recommend ST-8 from HC Fastener co. Route 2, #27 Alvardo TX, 76009 Practice on old pieces. Melting temp is 730F similar to solder or lead.

Support the part on a firebrick.

Reply to
Greg M

It doesn't sound like an easy fix. Likely beyond my abilties / equipment.

Thanks, Pibster

Reply to
Don

Ooh. I thought maybe they were off of an old StuudeeBaker. ;)

- "Don" - spluttered in news:S5vUb.88510$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Reply to
Greg M