welding stainless steel to platinum

I have a problem figuring out how to weld platinum to stainless steel. What would be the best method to accomplish this? I know it is possible because I have evidence of such welds, but I don't know how to do it productively. I need a strong weld that is impervious to corrosion after completion.

What flux is used? Should it be an arc weld or a torch weld? It seems to be done with arc welds in factories, but is it also possible to use a torch?

snipped-for-privacy@volcanomail.com

A second question: when using a laser welder - does titanium still oxidize or can a laser welder avoid this?

Reply to
Alan Greenie

Does ANYONE have even a HINT as to how to weld precious to ferrous metals? How can one weld platinum to stainless steel?

Reply to
Alan Greenie

am guessing some form of "super" braze would/could do the trick

Reply to
dogalone

What you're talking about isn't really welding, since you have dissimilar metals to be joined. About the only welding process which might produce a sound joint would be explosive welding. Otherwise, you're looking at brazing or soldering the two different metals together.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman