Welding Stainless Steel

I need to weld a thin sheet of SS +/- 1mm thick. Should I use the arc welder or gas welder.? What rod/flux should I use.

Reply to
Dave C

The first question I have is could you silver solder it instead? Less heat, less distortion, quick and if a lap joint very strong.

After that comes what kind of stainless? And what about all the other things as cosmetics, food grade, need for strength.

Why don't you tell us exactly what you are trying to achieve? Sometimes riveting is the better solution.

Back to your question. For 1 mm sheet, you need 1 mm diameter rods. Can you find these in arc rod?

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Use TIG! You could use your (DC) arc welder with a TIG torch and Argon shield gas. Don't forget to set it up Straight polarity-torch negative.

Reply to
Potblak

Okay, with a little help from folks here I got this going for myself recently. My process and settings:

  1. TIG, straight argon
  2. Tungsten is lanthanated at 1mm (.040) in a gas lense.
  3. Wire is .83mm (.035) but could use 1mm (.040). L308. I don't know the composition of the SS I am welding
Reply to
David Todtman

Clarification on "wire" in case needed: get a 1kg spool of mig wire (SS L308 if you will) and cut your own lengths from the spool. You are unlikely to find cut lengths available at your supplier. Ciao, David "David Todtman" wrote in message news:%q6pe.1588646$8l.1334436@pd7tw1no... Okay, with a little help from folks here I got this going for myself recently. My process and settings: 1. TIG, straight argon 2. Tungsten is lanthanated at 1mm (.040) in a gas lense. 3. Wire is .83mm (.035) but could use 1mm (.040). L308. I don't know the composition of the SS I am welding

Reply to
David Todtman