Welding Stainless Steel

I need to weld a thin sheet of SS +/- 1mm thick. Should I use the arc welder or gas welder.? What rod/flux should I use.

The first question I have is could you silver solder it instead? Less heat, less distortion, quick and if a lap joint very strong.
After that comes what kind of stainless? And what about all the other things as cosmetics, food grade, need for strength.
Why don't you tell us exactly what you are trying to achieve? Sometimes riveting is the better solution.
Back to your question. For 1 mm sheet, you need 1 mm diameter rods. Can you find these in arc rod?
Dan
Use TIG! You could use your (DC) arc welder with a TIG torch and Argon shield gas. Don't forget to set it up Straight polarity-torch negative.
I need to weld a thin sheet of SS +/- 1mm thick. Should I use the arc welder or gas welder.? What rod/flux should I use.
Okay, with a little help from folks here I got this going for myself recently. My process and settings: 1. TIG, straight argon 2. Tungsten is lanthanated at 1mm (.040) in a gas lense. 3. Wire is .83mm (.035) but could use 1mm (.040). L308. I don't know the composition of the SS I am welding--got it at the local scrap yard--but I believe L308 is considered 'all purpose' to a certain extent. 4. Amps: using an amp control I set the max at 30 but most of the weld is much lower than 30 amps. 5. Back shield with argon to prevent ugly crystallisation of the backside of the weld. I built a "Y" off my argon cylinder for 2 flow meters. One side of the "Y" goes to the welder (and the torch) as normal and the other feeds a line that I attach to the backside of my weld using parts of pie plates and other forms of thin bendy stuff to dam the argon behind the weld.
This produces very nice looking welds in SS. I found there was a bit of a learning curve getting geared up to make these welds. I had to learn about backpurging--"Hunh? Why does the back side look so UGLY?"--and figure out how to make it happen, including getting another flow meter and setting up a "Y" contraption. (An alternative to the "Y" contraption would have been to purchase a dual delivery flow meter.)
Hope this helps.
Ciao, David Todtman
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I need to weld a thin sheet of SS +/- 1mm thick. Should I use the arc welder or gas welder.? What rod/flux should I use.</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Clarification on "wire" in case needed: get a 1kg spool of mig wire (SS L308 if you will) and cut your own lengths from the spool. You are unlikely to find cut lengths available at your supplier. Ciao, David
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I need to weld a thin sheet of SS +/- 1mm thick. Should I use the arc welder or gas welder.? What rod/flux should I use.</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=