Welding Silver Steel

Im still relitivley new to welding but have just about managed to get my welds presentable and strong enough. For my current project i need to MIG weld some 15mm silver steel pins onto some 6mm (1/2") plate.

I have necer tried to weld silver steel and before i place my order for nearly £100 worth of silver steel i want to check that it is possible to weld it to steel plate. I would prefer to use Silver steel rather than mild steel pins as i need to machine each one up before welding .

Can anyone guide me as to wether this will work or not and is there anything special i need to know?

Many thanks in advance

Alan

Reply to
Alan

IIRC here in the US we call "silver steel" "O1 oil hardening tool steel".

You cannot weld this metal, at least not with MIG. It does braze well.

Although I am not sure exactly what you are doing, consider using 15 mm bolts instead. Machine them as needed and then weld them to a plate.

Reply to
frank

No problem doing it with TIG using 312 stainless or Inconel 625 filler.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

replying to Alan, Spike wrote: Ive welded 15mm silver steel bar to mild steel plate along the edge while making a hinge,using mig. Hasn't broken yet !

Reply to
Spike