Spot welding 18 gauge to 10 gauge mild steel

Is it possible to spot weld thinner 18 gauge sheet
metal to heavier 1/8" angle iron? A spot welder
is one tool missing from my shop and since these
things seem to run in the $500 plus range, some
input from those in the know would be appreciated.
Reply to
Tinker
Yes, you can easily spot weld .049" to .125" material. But I'm presuming you are thinking about the portable units. The 2.5 KVA /240 volt portable units are usually rated to 3/16" max, you will be running right at the high end. It should work but the surfaces must be clean, etc. You really want something a bit higher, say 5 KVA Don't bother with the 1.5KVA /120 volt units.
T> Is it possible to spot weld thinner 18 gauge sheet
Reply to
RoyJ
If you don't need to do it too often, just drill 3/8" holes and plug weld it on, its a lot cheaper than a spot welder.
Stuart
Reply to
Stuart Wheaton
Thanks Stuart and Roy for your replys. The plug welding seems like a good starting point.
Reply to
Tinker
If you just do it occaasionally, the plug weld works fine. The 18 ga is thick enough to not just blow away under the arc, the 1/8" underneath is heavy enough to allow an arc puddle to form. Drill some 1/4" holes in the 18 ga, hit it with the arc (either stick or MIG works fine). Downside is that you do not have a clamping action going on, you will need to clamp it down with 'C' clamps or Vice Grip(R) with the big legs.

Reply to
RoyJ
Ah but it avoids the opportunity to buy a new toy! I held off for quite a time before buying my spot welder, and it's amazing how often it's been useful - does things barely possible with other methods.
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson