Spot welding 18 gauge to 10 gauge mild steel

Is it possible to spot weld thinner 18 gauge sheet metal to heavier 1/8" angle iron? A spot welder is one tool missing from my shop and since these things seem to run in the $500 plus range, some input from those in the know would be appreciated.

Reply to
Tinker

Yes, you can easily spot weld .049" to .125" material. But I'm presuming you are thinking about the portable units. The 2.5 KVA /240 volt portable units are usually rated to 3/16" max, you will be running right at the high end. It should work but the surfaces must be clean, etc. You really want something a bit higher, say 5 KVA Don't bother with the

1.5KVA /120 volt units.

T> Is it possible to spot weld thinner 18 gauge sheet

Reply to
RoyJ

If you don't need to do it too often, just drill 3/8" holes and plug weld it on, its a lot cheaper than a spot welder.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Thanks Stuart and Roy for your replys. The plug welding seems like a good starting point.

Reply to
Tinker

Reply to
RoyJ

Ah but it avoids the opportunity to buy a new toy! I held off for quite a time before buying my spot welder, and it's amazing how often it's been useful - does things barely possible with other methods.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson