Flux Core wire

I have a 33lb roll of ESAB Coreshield 11 (E71T-11) and I didn't know that I had self-shielding wire untill I got it home, it wasn't the wire that I wanted but anyway!.

What I'd like to know is: has anyone used a flux core wire such as this and how good is it to weld with? ie, will it make a sound weld without a lot of cleaning or prep.

I have always used a CO2 shielded wire at work but I haven't used self shielding wire much at all.

Also I have a Hobart Hefty CC/CV suitcase wire feeder with a voltage clip and a cc/cv goggle switch inside and I was wondering if I should use it on cc or cv with my Lincoln Ranger 8 welder. I do know that straight polarity is used to weld with this wire but I don't know wether to use cc or cv for best results.

Gary

Reply to
onsite welding

In my experience I have had trouble running wires less than .045 on CC with a suitcase. They run on CC but the arc is unstable. I was told after the fact that the drive motor could not respond fast enough on the small wires.

If I had the choice I would go CV just because the drive motor will not have to respond to changes in arc gaps.

The T11 is listed as electrode negative. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

I have not used it... but I have used the Coreshield 15 (E71T-GS) which is very similar and it runs like using a paint sprayer. With the sweet spot tuned in you get a hissing sound and very little spatter. The powered flux comes off easily. See:

You're right, that wire wants DCEN and wire feed always wants constant voltage. Since your suitcase feeder can run on any power supply, it only asks that you tell it which it is, CV or CC. In the case of the Ranger, it is a CC/CV machine. Put the Ranger in CV mode and set the feeder in CV mode also. If you try both set in the CC mode, circuitry built into the Hobart feeder will "try" and correct for changes in voltage. This setting does have a different personality and I don't like it but your mileage may vary.

Reply to
Zorro

eh, i heard once that all flux core was reverse polarity (electrode+)

am guessing if you've got a choice go with CV

Reply to
dogalone

what are you running for MIG??

Reply to
dogalone

Thanks for your input Zorro it was helpfull It must have been tired or somthing when I typed this..."Also I have a Hobart Hefty CC/CV suitcase wire feeder with a voltage clip and a cc/cv goggle switch inside. Now what I'd like to know.....what the heck is a google switch?. Is that something like a toggle switch?, ya ya I think that is what I mean haha :)

Reply to
onsite welding