Hobart Hefty CC/CV

A fellow that I work with has this Hobart Hefty CC/CV suitcase wire feeder and I would like to buy it from him (he says it is about 6 years old but never used). I have seen it and it looks brand new, complete with gun and regulator. I have a Lincoln Ranger 8 engine driven welder without the optional remote contactor and I was wondering if I could weld hard wire as well as dual shield fluxcore wire with this suitcase wire feeder? I have used suitcase feeders before on jobsites but only with a self-shielding fluxcore wire using straight polarity, it works but I prefer using CO2 fluxcore or solid wire in my shop. Or do I need to get a different feeder and install the remote contactor in my welder to change from dual shield fluxcore to solid wire using reverse polarity?

Reply to
onsite welding

If having your contact tip hot all the time is tolerable to you it should work. Some suitcase welders come with their own contactor and gas solenoid. The gas solenoid isoften visible at the gas connection. Wire feed is the only way to get any production out in the field nowadays. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Thanks for the info randy, I have already tried it and it works great. I put some .045 innershield and some .035 solid wire through it with C25 gas and it welded great. The tip is not "hot" untill the trigger is squeezed and there is a toggle switch inside to switch from cc to cv. Now I just have to go out and find some work for it. Will have to be weekends since I'm at AMEC rebuilding Disneylands Space Mountain ride and we are quite busy right now.

By the way are you still at L.E. Steel? If so say hi to Dave for me

Reply to
onsite welding